Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 1st, 2016 18:00

My Windows Vista Home Basic computer wont boot up correctly.

I have a Windows Vista Home Basic, It was taken apart by my son who is obsessed about computers, And he did not take it apart to be fully ruined, all he did is take out 1 thing of memory out of 4 there is, and the hard drive he broke the data slot, and I am using a different vista hard drive to boot it up. And it only show the black screen with the dell startup and show bios under it in a sentence, and it says F2 for boot set up, and F12 for something else, I forget. And the thing wont let me hook up a keyboard, it will only give it power for 10th of a second. if you can help, please help.

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2016 01:00

Hi JOSEPHLAPINSKI,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please run the on-board diagnostics and capture any error code or message you receive.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum
as it contains your personal information).

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2016 19:00

What PC model?

Unless Vista was loaded onto that other hard drive when it was installed in this same PC or when it was installed in its exact twin, it's unlikely you'll be able to boot from that drive. The hardware is probably different so Vista will have the wrong drivers installed and they're probably not compatible with this system's hardware. 

Can you boot from a bootable optical disk such as your Dell Vista Reinstallation disk or Dell Resources disk? Open the optical drive and insert the disk and close the drawer. Now force it to restart by pressing the power button. Then immediately press F12 and look for the option to boot from the optical drive on the menu.

If that works, at least you know most of the hardware is still ok. So now your options are to install either a new, blank hard drive, format it, and install Vista from the optical disk,  or reformat and install Vista on that other drive which already had Vista.

Note that if you reinstall Vista on the drive you have, everything will be lost so your files must be backed up on external media first. If that hard drive actually belongs in another PC, your best bet is to buy a new drive for this system.

And when you're done, put a lock on the case so your kidlet can't get in there again. :emotion-5:

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 8th, 2016 03:00

Windows Vista has effectively reached end of life with Chrome and IE support now dropped.

Please provide the system models. Also what do you mean about the data slot? Can you provide screenshots of the damage?

June 2nd, 2016 17:00

Sorry, I had gotten it working before. Sorry for not keeping up to date on the help comment, But Now I have  a bigger issue, The data cable broke in the slot. The terminals are just showing, and I cant get the thing to read. If you got any suggestions for me. Feel free to respond. I will be opening a new forum page for this question. I will provide the link below.

No Events found!