Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2008 11:00

My X-Fi Snap/Crackle/Pop Solution

I was dealing with the SCP for about a month now.  I tried working with Dell techs to figure out a solution. I was told to update BIOS, disable SLI, update video drivers, audio drivers...ect. On my own, I swapped out video cards (nVida and ATI), removed RAM, went back and forth from Vista 32 and 64...., all to no avail.

In the end my solution was to buy a non-Creative card.  Problem solved.

From what I can tell, there is no real fix for the SCP issue and I was not willing to sit and wait for a solution from Creative, Dell or whomever. 

I don't blame Dell because the problem goes beyond Dell computers.

If you don't have a problem with SCP on your computer, great. If you do, don't bother waiting for a fix.  No one will admit there is an issue and you will drive yourself crazy researching fixes. Just do yourself a favor and either use on-board sound or swap out the card for an non-Creative brand.

Thanks.

4.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 14:00

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've used a number of different X-Fi cards in my gaming systems over the years, plus a Xtreme Audio Notebook Expresscard in my laptop, and I've never had the SCP issue you speak of?

1 Message

December 19th, 2008 17:00

Hey swab thanks for the post.  Im currently starting to have the same problem after a year of ownership.  Ive tried everything and youre right NOTHING WORKS.  Could you recomend a good sound card other than creative?  Im running my cpu with logitechs Z5500 speakers and the dell 5.1 stocks(I have a bluray burner/player in my cpu) .  Also curious if you aproached dell about cost recovery for your efforts and if you were sucessful or not?  Thanks in advance

4.6K Posts

December 21st, 2008 10:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Also curious if you aproached dell about cost recovery for your efforts and if you were sucessful or not?

Based on...

... I very much doubt it :emotion-55:

5 Posts

February 4th, 2009 07:00

I was dealing with the SCP for about a month now.  I tried working with Dell techs to figure out a solution. I was told to update BIOS, disable SLI, update video drivers, audio drivers...ect. On my own, I swapped out video cards (nVida and ATI), removed RAM, went back and forth from Vista 32 and 64...., all to no avail.

In the end my solution was to buy a non-Creative card.  Problem solved.

From what I can tell, there is no real fix for the SCP issue and I was not willing to sit and wait for a solution from Creative, Dell or whomever. 

If you don't have a problem with SCP on your computer, great. If you do, don't bother waiting for a fix.  No one will admit there is an issue and you will drive yourself crazy researching fixes. Just do yourself a favor and either use on-board sound or swap out the card for an non-Creative brand.

Thanks.

Why drive yourself crazy over this problem. It is a manufacturing problem that should have never left the factory. You're trying to fix something that yes is Dell's problem and you should be blaming them.

If would be like you buying a new car and just because Ford, Toyota, or Chevrolet didn't make a radiator that is in you car and it is leaking right from you picking it up new - and not blaming the manufacturer. If we follow your assesment of not blaming Dell, they could use anything in their computers and you're not blaming them for it whether it works or not... This sound problem affects a lot of units and something should be done about it from Dell. Either they bag Creative and never put them in their computers, or something like that. This problem affects a lot of people.

I am just going to solve my problem the simple way, I am returning the whole system and they can fix it and spend the time to get it right if I can't figure out anything else to solve this withing my 21 day return period.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 5th, 2009 07:00

The problem has been around for years, that I know of, in Dell's.  I don't know if the problem is also in other PC vendor's systems.  It's been a problem in older SoundBlaster's, not just the Xfi line.  I have a Retail SB Audigy SE in my Dimension E510 and there are no problems with that card.  Prior to the Audigy SE, I had a Retail Audigy 2 Platium EX in that PC and it too had no problems.  The Audigy 2 Platinum EX is now in a home built PC that is using an Intel M/B and Q6600 CPU and no problems there either.

I don't recall ever seeing a real fix for the SB cards/Dell PC's.  Another brand of card may be one way around it. 

It was mentioned " I am just going to solve my problem the simple way, I am returning the whole system and they can fix it and spend the time to get it right."  That's great if it's in the 21 day from date it was shipped window that Dell allows a customer to call Dell Customer Support and get a return authorization.  After that it's yours.  I've seen those that want some type of legal action and that sounds good until you figure out what it's going to cost you compared to the suggested fix of buying a different sound card.

5 Posts

February 5th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for the reply. I initially was very upset at this as my system is kind of on the expensive side. It shouldn't be doing this with the noise. My laptop is the same way as I've said it's got a Realtek onboard sound card in it and preinstalled wireless card. I like many others are searching for a solution to this. I can live with the laptop being that way because I don't use it all that much for audio. My desktop is the opposite, I use it mostly for audio, and it has a blue ray player onboard as well.

I spent an hour last night on a tech call with Dell, they were thorough and did extensive testing on my system remotely from the office. The severity of the problem initially seemed like their may have been some improvement but it is still producing popping sounds similar to the old needle on a LP or 45 rpm record when they used to pop.

I really want to keep this desktop system as it came with interest free financing. I just can't believe that this can't be solved and remains a mystery. I am going to try to install my Xfi Soundblaster premium card in this new system that I use to use in my system that just got replaced by the XPS Studio, if it works then I will keep the system, if not if is going back. You're right after 21 days your married to your system and 'it's yours!'

5 Posts

February 11th, 2009 08:00

The reinstallation of the new drivers that I installed with the assistance of Dell for the Realtek onboard sound seemed to have done a great job in reducing any popping noises. I am going to keep this system because it is a great setup. I'll post any changes if they occur.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2009 19:00

Mine does NOT WORK and i have realtek with the latest drivers.

Anyone find a fix?

No Events found!