Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2009 23:00

My brand new XPS 630i freezes randomly!

Hi guys, I'm fairly new here and in need of help.

I just recently bought a xps 630i, just got it 2 days ago and right off the bat it would start freezing up. I can't move the mouse cursor, the caps and nums lock buttons don't even work on my keyboard and I have to hit the power button to bring it back up. It is very annoying. It just tends to happen randomly when I'm surfing the web, using a program etc. I contacted dell about the issue and they had me do all of the general procedures and even restore to factory settings but it's still hasn't gotten rid of the problem, any idea guys? It's a  Vista 64 bt, 8 gigs of ram, Intel core 2 Quad 9650 3.00GHz with a GeForce GTX 285 card. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

41 Posts

July 28th, 2009 11:00

The XPS I ordered FRIDAY is on a truck to be delivered to my house today, TUESDAY! Seems impossible.

Anyone want in on odds that either, it is not what I ordered, or that it will have the same freezing issues described herein? I know it's going to crash.

Updates as soon as it is delivered and up and running.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 28th, 2009 12:00

Good find. Nope, the warranty is static from the original invoice date. Send me all of your service tag numbers in a private conversation and I can verify the warranty periods.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

All,

If you already got a system exchange for this issue, send me the dispatch numbers in a private conversation.

41 Posts

Chris I hate to disagree but your factory is aware of the issue, and it IS mentioned here http://www.my630i.com/brand-new-xps-630i-freeze-hangups-randomly-t2404.html and in general here http://www.my630i.com/resource-collective-discussion-f26.html

I have sent back 2 with this problem, and I know I am not the only one. So, if the factory is not aware, then that is an internal Dell communication issue. I assure you I have made numerous people at Dell aware of it. If you like pm me for service tag numbers.

As to warranties by Dell, when a pc is exchanged a new warranty period begins with the new service tag, as I understand it.

41 Posts

Chris check your inbox. Also, just to clear the warranty issue up, I don't have one but; if I buy a pc on July 1 and it freezes and I send it back and Dell sends me a new one --are you saying that I loose the days while the new one is built and shipped to me? ie I receive replacement pc on the 20th of July. I would be 20 days short of my warranty? If that is the policy, Dell may want to change law firms and review Texas deceptive trade practices act. aka TDTPA. Frankly if every user here was able to prove and coordinate, Dell really might have a big problem. I dont know how many XPS systems Dell sells per qtr, but if you look at the posts in this forum alone it would appear that Dell does have a problem with XPS 630's freezing. I know Dell knows of the freezing and I have $100.00 bucks on me receiving a new XPS630 today that will freeze. Knowingly selling a defective product is a violation of the TDTPA and plaintiff's are allowed treble damages. (That's 3x) That might put a dent in Mikes pocket, not to mention my own! (Yes I am a stock holder).

So, let those who need to know, Memo: check Dell support/returns database for XPS630 returns in last 6 months! I'm pretty confident a pattern exists.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

The warranty restarts from the date of the exchange.
* That is incorrect. The warranty period start and end dates never change.

Has there been any development on a solution to this issue on Dell’s end; or even recognition of a problem?
* We are not seeing this at the factory level. At this point, you should contact Support and initiate system exchanges so we can capture your PCs. The guys over here are also not seeing this issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 28th, 2009 13:00

Checking on this...

9 Posts

July 28th, 2009 13:00

That was my experience. I recieve my 630i in December. It would smell like smoke and shut itself down. I returned it and received a replacement that was not up to the specks that I paid for. By the time is received its replacement and it too crashed, I was told that my time to return the computer had lapsed. I protested and finally got through to a Corporate Case Manager who convinced me that it was a Vista 64 issue.

I can't even update the BIOS on the computer because it says I do not have administrative authority. I'm not a computer geek. I don't understand most of what the folks here are talking about. I gave up on sitting on the phone for hours with a tech trying to figure out what was going on with this machine months ago.

I just wanted a computer to edit photos on. This computer is not trustworthy! I bought a large backup drive to store my work because I can't trust this computer.

Bottom line, would you buy a car or any other piece of equipment that you had good reason to believe would not work properly? Why should we give a computer manufacturer so much slack when they produce lemons?

I REPEAT WHAT I'VE SAID PREVIOUSLY,

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A DELL 630i, DON'T DO IT!!!!

41 Posts

July 28th, 2009 14:00

Send Chris your service tag numbers!

41 Posts

July 28th, 2009 21:00

New XPS 630 right out of the box LOCKED UP while trying to SETUP XP! No mouse support for standard mouse! It's going BACK DELL!!!!

7 Posts

July 29th, 2009 08:00

Chris,

What is the policy on returning refurbished machines? Will I receive a machine with the exact same specifications? I very much like to think that the price I paid was very good for the components I received (if they all worked correctly that is), and would be very much disappointed to send in this machine only to receive another machine, with the same problem, with less impressive specs.

Regards,

Matt

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 29th, 2009 08:00

Setup XP?
* Do you mean your installing XP from a CD or is the factory image corrupt?

No mouse support?
* It has full USB and PS2 support. Do you mean during the setup of XP you do not have a mouse?

1 Message

July 29th, 2009 09:00

I have recently  purchased a Dell Vostro 2510 and it also freezes.  I have had the motherboard and memory replaced and after numerous phone calls to the technical support, still have problems with it freezing.  After having all of the guts replaced and still having it freeze, I was told that I would be sent a new computer within 5-7 days even though it was passed the 21 day period.  2 weeks have now passed and still no computer.  I hope that yours comes in faster than mine and that you no longer have the problem with it freezing up.  I know how much of a frustration it is!

Maybe Dell will be able to address this issue since so many people are having this problem.  I thought that I just got a lemon and didn't realize that others were having the same issue.  Good luck and hopefully the 2nd computer doesn't freeze up for either of us!

41 Posts

July 29th, 2009 11:00

Cris when running thru the initial startup, from the factory image of xp. Yes, I had no mouse support. I power cycled and the mouse worked. It has not had a freeze or lockup but I am about to install Vista Ultimate and all the drivers. I guess we'll see how it goes.

41 Posts

July 29th, 2009 13:00

Day two:

Installed Vista Ultimate, allowed Windows updates 51 of them, the computer has stopped responding at 18 of 51. It is completely froozen, locked up tight at 2:09, I let it sit for 15 minutes and now I guess I will restart. I am going to give it one more shot, and then 3 strikes your out and back to the Dell graveyard.

I have just done the following after having to hold the power button down to restart

(1) In the Bios- Advanced- Overvoltage, Change the Chipset voltage from

The computer has started after going to the black screen where you can choose safe mode or last good.

No Events found!