Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2009 23:00

My brand new XPS 630i freezes randomly!

Hi guys, I'm fairly new here and in need of help.

I just recently bought a xps 630i, just got it 2 days ago and right off the bat it would start freezing up. I can't move the mouse cursor, the caps and nums lock buttons don't even work on my keyboard and I have to hit the power button to bring it back up. It is very annoying. It just tends to happen randomly when I'm surfing the web, using a program etc. I contacted dell about the issue and they had me do all of the general procedures and even restore to factory settings but it's still hasn't gotten rid of the problem, any idea guys? It's a  Vista 64 bt, 8 gigs of ram, Intel core 2 Quad 9650 3.00GHz with a GeForce GTX 285 card. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2011 13:00

Hello Kenny,

I remain suspcious of this being a Vista issue, I have tried various things to resolve this issue including a clean install. My XPS 630i shipped with Ultimate 64 bit and 8GB RAM and had some of these issues. The clean install corrected much.

I would also recomend that you check for phantom/unused drivers if you feel comfortable. The best directions can be found at:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/it...31&tag=nl.e101

This procedure applies to XP and Vista systems and is very easy to perform. You may find it useful.

Best,

Darrell WV

Thanks for your analysis! It is exactly what I need.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2011 02:00

I have the same computer you have only I kept WinXP Pro. The same thing has started in mine and I have 2 Western Digital 10000RPM Hard drives and they told my hard drives were both bad.

I am currently waiting for 2 new Hard drives. 

12 Posts

April 6th, 2011 07:00

Hi Guys,

If your having problem with windows freezing... especially after its been idle. It maybe worth having a look at this webiste. Talks about potential hardware and software issues. What you can do to maybe help. also includes some microsoft articles that also might help. surely  worth a quick nothing to lose i suppose.

Windows Freezing

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

April 6th, 2011 18:00

I am unable to access that site. My security tells me it has a WOT rating of "Poor Reputation".

Chunks_, if you are going to refer people to other sites, please make sure they are safe. Thank you.

Why not just go to Microsoft to read the Microsoft Articles?

12 Posts

May 10th, 2011 05:00

Its not been rated.... thats why its poor from what i can tell. It has good content and additional information to that of the articles. Plus how would you know what articles to look for ?

And infact the website has a now got a wot rating of good So it may be an idea if you edit the inaccurate information you have posted. Also you may be able to access the site now and actually appreciate the content.

May 10th, 2011 06:00

I had the same problem, till I switched from windos XP to Windows7.

In Windows 7 you can adjust the fan speed, which can't be done in Windows XP.:emotion-5:

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

May 10th, 2011 09:00

Hi, you can also use EVGA precision to adjust fan speeds, but i think you have to have a Nvidia graphic card(s) to use that program.

6 Posts

June 26th, 2011 10:00

All,

I just wanted to pass on that Dell continues to have the same freezing problem with their XPS line. The new 8300's are doing the same thing as the the 630s.

Here is the link to the 8300 thread in case anyone has some guidance for them...

en.community.dell.com/.../19374123.aspx

BTW - My 630 is down once again (has been for over a week), and even though Dell has replaced many of the parts, they still cannot find the problem. My next day warranty to include weekends is also working well, since the Tech is too busy to come out.

A former loyal Dell customer

8 Posts

February 26th, 2012 09:00

I just through my 630i out , thats all its worth, please for the sake of your sanity, do not ever by a Dell or you will be stuck with a 2000.00+ paperweight.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 26th, 2012 16:00

What do you mean it won't "format" ... where do you get stuck?

February 26th, 2012 16:00

I Bought two. The first one works perfectly. The second one wont format. Bought a new C-drive still wont format

No Events found!