Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2009 08:00

My computer was off for 45 days, now it will not turn on! A page comes up saying attempts for booting failed!?

I had been out of country for 45 days n my house computer was off during this time. I turned it on this morning... after few minutes ... a black page comes up saying previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint
SATA primary drive 0 not found
strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.. 
Im not that good with computers... what can I do to fix this without having to take it somewhere.?

165 Posts

July 28th, 2009 09:00

open the case? is something living/growing in there? fluctuating humid/hot/cold climate?

wiggle and reseat cables/connectors, make sure they did not come apart. turn it on for an hour or so, then restart a few times.

if still not working, go into setup and see if the hard drives and major components are recognised.

unplug all non-major components/peripherals, then reboot and repeat setup if needed. can you run boot diagnostics?

what model? please describe your hardware

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 28th, 2009 09:00

If you made the mistake of leaving the computer plugged in while you were gone, a power surge during a storm might have zapped it. That can happen even when the computer is off. Primary drive 0 is your hard drive. If you can get to the boot menu--usually by pressing F12 at the very first screen--depending on your operating system, run the diagnostics including the extended hard drive test. There might be other problems with other hardware or it just might be that the drive has failed. F2 will enter Setup (bios) to see what settings have changed. If you post back, mention your model and operating system for more help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 28th, 2009 13:00

Dead motherboard battery..? Try clearing NVRAM = resetting BIOS to factory defaults...

Ron

EDIT: Always include PC model and version of Windows in your posts. :emotion-5:

No Events found!