Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2004 23:00

My files all say O bytes!!!

All my files say 0 bytes, I know though that they are most certainly NOT 0 bytes. I had these files for a while so that's how i know but how come they are 0? Is it a virus or something?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 5th, 2004 00:00

Is your antivirus software up to date and running?

11 Posts

um...i don't have one so anywho my friend said it's a virus so can someone tell me a virus that could do something like this?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

There are plenty of them that can do this.  Is the system still operable, or is everything completely gone?

11 Posts

Well....

The files are "tehre" with their appropriate names but it says 0 bytes. But everything else is fine just my word documents, music, and images are gone. Does this help?

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

Here are links to a couple of free on-line virus scans:

Symantec: www.sarc.com website link is under the virus defitiions

Trend Micro  http://housecall.trendmicro.com click SCANNOW, It's Free

Here is a Free Antivirus program you can download

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You need to scan the system to find out what virus or worm hit it.  Try http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

However, if you're seeing zero-byte files, those files are gone - you will need to restore them from your backups;  there's no way to recover them if they've been overwritten with zero-byte files.

39 Posts

April 5th, 2004 12:00

what you really need to do is run an online virus scan as suggested.

and you must have an anti-virus nowadays, so please protect yourself and others with one.  as suggested earlier, go to www.grisoft.com for their free version of AVG.

good luck

4.8K Posts

April 12th, 2004 22:00

Wouldn't it be possible to use a low-level file recovery program to see if the entire file is still intact (look for an SOF block to start file reconstruction, and not for the deleted directory entry as a starting point, and that all subsequent blocks are still linked and accounted for). It would resolve to a file with a temporary name assigned by the recovery program that could then be examined (properties) to see what type file it was. This wouldn't work if files were gradually deleted over a period of time since those sectors would be returned for system use and are more than likely overwritten with other data, breaking the linkage between the blocks your trying to recover, however if the first SOF block is found, partial file recovery would still be possible. I know I could do this on another platform, but still learning about a windows pc.

Mike.
No Events found!