Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2010 14:00

NEED HELP AFTER PARALLEL INSTALL OF WINDOWS XP

Hello, I had a system crash a few months ago, and after all of the trouble shooting steps failed I was forced to do a parallel install of Windows XP Media Center Edition.  I am able to access all the files on my hard drive, however, the program files wouldn't work because I guess they are not installed on this new version of Windows.

This issue I need help resolving centers on Microsoft Office. It was pre-installed on the system when I ordered it from Dell. Since the parallel install, I no longer have access to those programs. I am looking for a way to retrieve the product key from my current files on the hard drive, then reinstall Office to the new version of XP. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I would be open to other means that would help reach the same end. Thanks!

1.3K Posts

Download "Belarc" at the link below. Install and run , it will give you ALL your computer info.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

4.4K Posts

Belarc Advisor is a free program that can identify program keys of installed programs, among many userful tools.  However, if you need to reinstall MS Office, you will need the install disk you would have received with your computer if you purchased Office.

February 8th, 2010 10:00

I've run this program, however it just lists the product keys for Windows and IE. It lists Office 2003 under "software installed" but it doesn't list the product key. Office came installed on my computer from Dell. I don't have the CD. I have ALL of the program files stored on my hard drive, is there any way I can transfer information from those program files over to the new Windows installation?

4.4K Posts

February 8th, 2010 10:00

Sorry Belarc didn't reveal the key.  Here's another program to try: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

You must install Office from its CD, you cannot transfer from one hard drive or computer to another. So even if you had the key, you may still be out of luck.

No Events found!