Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 09:00

NEW.. Any and all concerns about the new XPS 435/8000/9000

Please feel free to post any concerns, problems, delivery delays etc.

452 Posts

November 4th, 2009 10:00

elierodrigue,

I was surprised to see HP took the number one spot in several categories some beating Apple! :emotion-3:

12 Posts

I will add my story on delays and customer service for what it's worth.

Ordered a Studio XPS 435/9000 (a plain configuration) on 9/11/09, scheduled for delivery on 9/24/09.  Received computer on 10/02/09.  Paid for.  Over the next 7 days experienced 8 different problems.  Tech support tried all their diagnostics to no avail.  On 10/12/09 Tech came to my house to replace the mother board.  Did so and could not get the system to work as it should.  Decided to send me an exchange for the computer.  Over the next 23 days made numerous calls to XPS and Sales support with no definitive answers as to why the delay and when to expect the replacement .  Some calls were never returned. 

At this point my conclusions are:

1.  Paid for systems that are defective are replaced whenever--no priority given.  (A very short sighted business practice.)

2.  When an exchange/replacement is to take place the customer is then placed at the end of the production queue, no matter how long the queue. (Another        business practice that points to a flawed process between customer service and production.)

3.  At this point I have very few options available.

Today, 11/04/09, it has been 54 days since I placed my order and 24 days since I was to receive a replacement for a none working computer.

Also, today (after still another call) I have been told it has been a part(s) shortage that caused the delay in building my computer.  Part(s) is now available, but, cannot say when it will be shipped.  I don't for a minute believe any of this.

NO COMPUTER as of 11/04/09--STILL COUNTING!

Try to top this true story!!!!  Please, just to make me feel better.

16 Posts

wow I feel kind of guilty now after reading this.  I ordered a 435MT the beginning of October.  I really didn't want to order until Win7 was out since I didn't want to deal with the upgrade and waiting for it, but I got talked into it.  Well, delivery day came and gone and my computer was delayed twice at which point I decided to cancel the order and order a window7 machine.  The 435 wasn't available anymore, so I ordered the 8000 on Oct 21st with Windows 7 and estimated delivery of Nov 2nd.  Well, I knew they would have to ship no later than Oct 30th to meet the Nov2nd due date.  They upgraded my shipping to next business day, btw, because of canceling the previous machine.  So on Nov 2nd, the FedEx site said it got info from Dell on Oct 31st, but that is all.  I called Dell and they confirmed with FedEx that they didn't have the computer.  So Dell didn't know where it went.  The Dell site said it shipped on the 31st but FedEx said they didn't have it.  Suddenly, it appeared on the FedEx site yesterday that they had picked it up on Oct 31st and last night that it was enroute.  In the meantime, Dell grabbed another computer, they called it an 'exchange' computer and said they are shipping me another computer because they didn't know what happen to the first computer.  I tried to ask them what an exchange computer is and they said its just the same computer, and I think they meant it was a replacement.  Anyway, the first computer, resurfaced from its hiding place and ended up on my doorstep this morning.  I just hope the exchange computer isn't on its way!  They said its free, but they must meant that they want it back if the first computer gets here.

1 Message

November 4th, 2009 11:00

hello, my name is curtis bunn and i am a student at virginia state university. We are currently doing a study on the people who are involved with dell from a consumer based level.  The study is we have to do an depth profile on our class wiki page and i was wondering if you would like to help me out. I see your comments and replies and you seem very interesting and i would be honored to do an in depth profile on you

8 Posts

November 4th, 2009 11:00

Well, so far, Dell looks like they'll be able to deliver my comp on 11/16/09.  I order my XPS 9000 on 10/23/09 so that's about a 23 day build time for anyone looking to purchase.  However, your results may vary.

24 Posts

November 4th, 2009 20:00

Happy to say it looks like this again and in about a week one of the 1.5 Tb will be living in an eSATA enclosure (with option to use USB 2.0 connection) and will be an external drive for photo processing, the 2nd 1.5 Tb will be partitioned for Ubuntu and its swap files and an enclosure is enroute that will allow me to use the 256 Gb SSD in the floppy expansion slot as a quick release drive, i.e. an on the fly drive which will be the W7 64 Ultimate partition, this is one heck of a machine!

Yay Fishnbanjo!  Glad you're Back In Baby's Arms!  (Also really glad you're on the mend, physically.  Sending *love and healing light*.)

M

28 Posts

November 4th, 2009 21:00

Curtis, you're going to have to provide more info.  A link would be helpful. :emotion-1:

16 Posts

November 5th, 2009 03:00

After waiting since the 23rd of October for my replacement I finally see there's one in production. The problem is its wrong, I currently have a 4850 video card and the one they're building has a 4350, big difference and I think they have smaller power supplies as well. I called dell and at first they couldn't understand the difference, then they said the would email the production people and have it changed before it shipped. I noticed its now changed to shipped and nothing has changed, I can't even use that video card because I run two displays and that video card has one output. I kind of can't believe it took that long to get a replacement, notice it was wrong before it shipped, alerted them to the problem and still I'm going to have to ship it back and wait for another replacement, oh yeah forgot to mention my original computer is dead and has been since the 23rd. :emotion-12:

13 Posts

November 5th, 2009 04:00

OMG:emotion-9:

I finally received my XPS9000 unit and so I ordered my windows 7 upgrade and figured I would wait 10 or so days to get it so I could just do the clean install but now its delayed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the story:

Ordered upgrade and received confirmation on 10/30/09 with a ship date of 11/09/09 now the site says the estimated ship date is 11/22/09 !!!!!!!!

COME ON THIS IS RIDICULOUS- WAIT FOR THE XPS, WAIT FOR THE UPGRADE- HECK Dell should have to wait for money LOL!

anyone have any consolation or comments!

Thanks-

23 Posts

November 5th, 2009 05:00

XPS 435MT Problems

The only problems I’m having with my XPS 435MT is that I have to hit the start button 3 – 5 times before I can get a normal boot (Start button turns white). When the light is only amber (not white), I hold the start button 5 seconds to shut down the pc and hit the restart button again until I get a proper boot up (white light).

I will be installing a new USB 2.0 PCI express card shortly and unplug my external USB connector to see if this can solve this issue.

12 Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

Congratulations! I really hope you like it and it arrives problem free!

Yours defintely shipped faster than mine.  I guess we won't ever know how long mine would have taken - I cancelled my order yesterday.  Maybe I will look into the HP models mentioned in the consumer reports article...

52 Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

Just another delivery data point:

XPS 9000 Ordered  Oct 19th

"preliminary ship date"  Nov 9th

"delivered on/before"  Oct 16th

Nov 5th - status showed "delivery preparation" (afternoon)

Nov 5th - status shows "shipped" (evening) :emotion-21:

52 Posts

November 5th, 2009 17:00

Here is this years reliabiltiy chart from PC World.  Not so good for HP.  If only Apple weren't so proprietary.  

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=156452&page=1&zoomIdx=1

28 Posts

November 5th, 2009 17:00

More unsatisifed customers people NEED to cancel their orders. Otherwise, Dell wont be motivated to improve their customer service and experience.

12 Posts

November 5th, 2009 21:00

My update (from a closed thread)...

I ordered my XPS 9000 on 10/22 (Win7 launch day). I ordered via the online catalog and "customized" it (no monitor) to what I wanted. When the order was done, the estimated delivery date was 11/18.  The "In Production" and 11/18 delivery date remained on the status page until today. It has been shipped, and the estimated deliver date has been updated to 11/11.  yay!  :emotion-1:

No Events found!