Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 2nd, 2008 23:00

NO AUDIO

I have a dimension E310...just reinstalled the hard drive and then the windows xp service pack 2.... i h ave no audio.... it says i have no audio hardware?  tried to install the driver from the site and it didnt work?????

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 10:00

i already did that??? how do i remove all the drivers and start again? thanks

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2008 12:00

You can navigate to Device Manager, expand the Sounds section, then delete the Sigmatel driver if it shows there.  That is the audio driver for the standard integrated audio.

In stating "I already did that" are you saying you did install the chipset driver first and then the other drivers?  And can you confirm you have the integrated audio and not a separate PCI sound card, such as Soundblaster Live?

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 13:00

cant get into the device manager... that's thru the control panel right? nothing is responding?  not sure if i have a pci slot..... where would i go to find out? 

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2008 14:00

To open Device Manager, click StartSettings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

The following link to a diagram of your computer shows the integrated audio ports near the middle as item #2.  If you had an upgraded PCI sound card the sound ports would be at the bottom in one of the 3 horizontal slots.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/about0.htm#wp1051659

Message Edited by europa303 on 06-03-2008 11:01 AM

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 14:00

DONT THINK I HAVE A PCI SLOT UPGRADE.... WENT TO THE MANAGER... SAW IDT AUDIO WITH !... UNINSTALLED IT.... DONT KNOW IF THE CHIPSET IS INSTALLED... WHERE DO I LOOK? AND IF THAT IS INSTALLED, SHOULD I JUST GO TO THE WEBSITE AND REINSTALL THE SIGMANTEL DRIVER?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 15:00

ok..i uninstalled idt audio, reinstalled sigmatel and now have SOUND!!!!! BUT why wont my windows updates download?????? any clue?

thanks

4.4K Posts

June 4th, 2008 07:00

Glad to hear the sound is working again.

If you click Start, Windows Update, the Express or Custom, are you given the opportunity to download updates manully?  More details needed.

25 Posts

June 4th, 2008 11:00

well i cant get the machine on line now.... i'm on a laptop..... i cant open device manager.... it wont respond, like most all in control panel..... just doesnt open.....when i was in there (device manager) it looked like everything was ok.... i'm thinking i should just start over.. reinstall windows, ect..... do you know if that will put windows twice on my hard drive and take up more room, or will it rewrite over the old one?  thanks for your help.................................

4.4K Posts

June 4th, 2008 12:00

Many Dell computers built after mid-2004 have a program called PC Restore on the hard drive, which will return the computer to "factory new" condition.  First, back up all your data and then you can run this program to restore to like new.  Directions:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=447A98F2640CFDCEE040A68F27286A4E&docid=3E48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4

25 Posts

June 4th, 2008 13:00

OK... I REPLACED THE hard drive which started this whole mess... my hard drive was corrupt...so i'd have to rerun the windows disk right

4.4K Posts

June 4th, 2008 13:00

25 Posts

June 5th, 2008 10:00

got the machine up and running for one exception... i can NOT download windows updates....i have service pk 2 and can NOT INSTALL 3... i went and tried to do it manually but it will not install... then  i just tried to not install it and there are 20 updates today that also will not install after i try to install them?????? any suggestions?

4.4K Posts

June 5th, 2008 10:00

Are you saying you can download the files but not install them, or you can't download anything at all?

If you go to device manager, is anything yellow-flagged?

Can you confirm you reinstalled XP and then the chipset driver and then all the other drivers, in the correct order?

25 Posts

June 5th, 2008 15:00

there are no yellow flags in the device manager..... i can download and install other files but not any updates for windows....... it will not install service pack 3 and all these other updates..... as far as i know i installed the chipset all the other drivers correctly... is there a way to tell?
No Events found!