Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2009 19:00

NVIDIA 7900GS card locks up with game

I have two nVidia 7900 GS graphics cards in SLI or not with gaming lockup problems.   :emotion-6:   NVidia suggested going back to the 178.24 driver (from 180 - 186 series).  Not much help.

Problem:  Playing Tomb Raider Legend, Fear Sp Demo, Need for Speed, or Age of Empires III the game freezes at the entry screen (game, options, etc) and causes the PC to hang.  Have to power down via button to clear.  Dell's Video Stability test (bench mark test mentioned at begining of thie Forum) does the same thing.  The test ran less than a minute with 186.18 driver and I stopped it after7 minutes with 178.24.  The stability test acted like it was going to lock the PC up by stopping and starting.  The bench mark test crashed and locked up my PC.   :emotion-39:   Tried SLI and single card - same results.

Was able to play these games in past  :emotion-1:, but artifacts  :emotion-9:   began to increase with occasional lock up.  Had no other type problem.  The desktop graphics are fine and card games are no problem. 

System:  XPS720, A06 BIOS, Intel Q6600, Windows XP32 Professional MCE, dual 7900GS SLI, 320GB Raid0 main HD, 160GB HD, 500GB HD, DVD, CD/DVD-RW.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 18th, 2009 07:00

Best to post your gaming problems in the Gaming section of the forum.  You may get more info there, since all your issues are with games.

108 Posts

July 18th, 2009 09:00

fireberd -

It is not a gaming problem, it is a graphics card problem when all graphic intense games are played.  To me that is video.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 18th, 2009 10:00

fireberd -

It is not a gaming problem, it is a graphics card problem when all graphic intense games are played.  To me that is video.

My first thought is dust buildup inside the case on the heatsinks that is causing the video cards to overheat. That would explain why you can play the games briefly before problems occur. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 18th, 2009 11:00

Since the problem only happens with games, that is what led me to the "games problem".   A 7900GS is not a "great" gaming Video card and maybe it's time for an upgrade?  The gaming people (gaming section) could probably better suggest what video card to get based on the games you play.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 18th, 2009 13:00

Since the problem only happens with games, that is what led me to the "games problem".   A 7900GS is not a "great" gaming Video card and maybe it's time for an upgrade?  The gaming people (gaming section) could probably better suggest what video card to get based on the games you play.

The poster states the problems also occur with the Dell Video Stability Test. In other words, intense loads on the video cards bring about the failure. 

Intense loads generate more heat, which can lead to instability if cooling is inadequate. If this were my rig, the first thing I'd do is check the innards for dust buildup, especially since this problem has increased over time.

108 Posts

July 19th, 2009 18:00

[quote user="fireberd"]

The poster states the problems also occur with the Dell Video Stability Test. In other words, intense loads on the video cards bring about the failure. 

Intense loads generate more heat, which can lead to instability if cooling is inadequate. If this were my rig, the first thing I'd do is check the innards for dust buildup, especially since this problem has increased over time.

[/quote]

Case is clean.  Very little dust on 7900GS cards heat sinks or fans.   Temps seem reasonable: 51C and 59C for room temperature of 27C.

VST does end itself afetr 1 min. in both SLI and nonSLI modes.

108 Posts

July 19th, 2009 18:00

BTW:   7900GS is OK card for older games like Myst, Tomb Raider Legend Demo, Age of Empires III, Need for Speed Pro Street Demo, and Fear SP Demo.   That's my collection for now.   :emotion-10:   Will eventually change graphic cards - may have to now.  But the system is still under warranty.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 19th, 2009 20:00

BTW:   7900GS is OK card for older games like Myst, Tomb Raider Legend Demo, Age of Empires III, Need for Speed Pro Street Demo, and Fear SP Demo.   That's my collection for now.   :emotion-10:   Will eventually change graphic cards - may have to now.  But the system is still under warranty.

If heat isn't a problem, perhaps your power supply is inadequate?

Two 7900GS cards draw a lot of power.

108 Posts

July 19th, 2009 21:00

System is:

XPS700>720; 1kW PS; Q6600-2.4GHz; 680iSLI; 2007WFP;
XP-MCE-SP3-32bit
;
4GB Corsair Dominator EPP,
2eaTWIN-8500C5DFG, 800MHZ w/ FAN;
Dual 7900GS SLI;
X-FI Extreme Music
;
320GB Raid0+160GB+500GB

Plenty of power.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 20th, 2009 06:00

Uninstall all nvidia drivers and then delete them from the hard drive. That means delete the NVIDIA folders from the C: drive.

Then download the microsoft full Install of service pack 3 for xp and install.

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation ...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/3/0/d30e32d8-418a-469d-b600-f32ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Then reboot.

Then install the march 2009 directx 9.0c version 9,999

Download details: DirectX Redist (March 2009)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/C/4/3C46A69A-CB0F-4CCA-B1E8-248D43270D5F/directx_mar2009_redist.exe

Then reboot.

Then install the nvidia drivers.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/186.18/186.18_desktop_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe

GeForce/ION Driver Release 186 WHQL

Version:

Release Date*:

July 2, 2009

Operating System:

Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition

Language:

U.S. English

File Size:

72.8 MB

Then reboot.

108 Posts

July 20th, 2009 08:00

SpeedStep,

I guess you did not pay any attention to my system configuration I listed.  I have SP3 installed.  I have the latest DirectX 9c. I tried the latest nVidia driver you mentioned and at nVidia's suggestion returned to the 178.24 version.  I have done everything possible with drivers, even tried a couple of different ones I know worked previously.  Additionally, my Windows XP is as up-to-date as you can get.  No overclocking of the graphics or CPU have been done.  Memory still at 800MHz.

NO HELP.

108 Posts

July 20th, 2009 15:00

I do believe Dell will be replacing my Graphics cards under warranty per email I received from Dell Hardware Warranty.  :emotion-2:    Unfortunately it appears they will be refurbished cards.   :emotion-12:    I don't know how to get new graphics replacement cards out of them.   Refurbished equipment is NOT typical in the industry.   One usually gets a new or recent replacement that is still being manufactured.   Here Dell is sticking me with a used part.   Bummer!   :emotion-45: :emotion-39:

1.7K Posts

July 20th, 2009 19:00

Even a lot of top brand manufacturers will give you a refurbished card for a warranty replacement.  The 7900 GS is an older card not manufactured anymore.  It is nice that you still have a warranty and can get a replacement, but if I were you I would look at an upgrade with a computer like yours.  Even a single 9600 GT will give you twice the performance of your 7900 GS's in SLI and they do not cost that much.  Based on differences in cost being small now among the 9600 GT, 9800 GT and GTS 250, I would go with the latter.  However, you can still go much higher than these cards since you certainly have the power supply for it.   You could probably turn around and sell your two 7900 GS cards and break even buying a new one that will give you much better performance. 

39 Posts

February 17th, 2010 10:00

wtb - read the warranty on any computer and you will see almost if not ALL computer companies replace parts with refurbished cards.  And if you want help you should stop being rude.
NO HELP.
No Events found!