Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 19th, 2005 12:00

Need Serial Port, system doesn't have one.

I just purchased a Dell Dimension E510. I noticed that the system doesn't have a serial port on it, and I need one. I have an electronic organizer that can interface with the computer, but it's interface cable is a serial cable.

I want to know if there is a way to add a serial port to the computer, possibly through a PCI or PCI-e expansion card. Does anyone know there are such cards?

88 Posts

Sure. I've had very good success with later model Dell machines and Axxon PCIe I/O cards. You can find them at www.softio.com. They are a Canadian company and you can order direct from them over the phone.

126 Posts

I looked at Softio.com. Seems like a suitable solution, but I just realized there is one other issue. I noticed that there are several cards availiable. How do I know which card is the best option for me. What specs do I need to compare, and where can I find the information in my computer that indicates what it can use? Basically how can I tell if a given card I am conscidering is compatible with my system and OS?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 19th, 2005 13:00

Before you buy whatever hardware, is the unit you want to attach Windows XP compatible? 

That would be the first thing to check as not all older hardware (and software) is XP compatible.

1.1K Posts

October 19th, 2005 14:00

You can check out a serial port to usb adapter to see if it fits your needs. Do a Search on google.com "serial port to usb"

88 Posts

October 19th, 2005 17:00

One of the older Palms? If so, we've only had 50-50 results with using a USB to serial adapter with them.

You E510 has one PCIe x1 and one PCIe x16 for PCIe expansion and two PCI slots otherwise. I'm guessing at least one of the PCIe slots is open and the Axxon cards are structured to fit either. 

The Axxon cards work with all just about all popular operating systems as shown on their website.

I'd recommend this model. It will give you two serials and one EPP/ECP parallel port since the E510 has neither. If you have no need for the parallel, there is this one for a few dollars less.

Axxon stands behind their product and you will not need to leave messages and a real live person will answer your sales and tech questions very quickly. They have even worked with Dell where BIOS limitations (mainly with servers) have caused issues with their cards and successfully crafted solutions with them! I have personally been very pleased with the quality of their products and their ease of install and use.

Good luck!

Message Edited by geotex1 on 10-19-2005 02:41 PM

64 Posts

October 19th, 2005 17:00

USB to Serial adapter.

Message Edited by Niche25 on 10-19-2005 01:45 PM

5.2K Posts

October 19th, 2005 18:00

Dell part # F3636 might work, has 2 PS2 and one serial port - $11.
No Events found!