Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2011 20:00

Need advice for setting up dual monitors on Dell Studio 7100 Desktop

I have integrated graphics with HDMI and DVI port.  I tried to set up 2 monitors using a DVI cable and a HDMI/DVI adapter for the other which did not work.  I searched and was told that only one of these inputs would be valid and I would likely need a video card if I wanted to have dual monitors. 

Wanted to make sure that is true that I need a video card for dual monitors.  Any input for cheap video card that would allow me to use 2 monitors.  I don't plan to use this computer for gaming just for spreadsheets, watching video, dvds and internet browsing. 

Thanks

268 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 07:00

CDOOBIEST2,

Yes, its true that you cannot use both the DVI and HDMI output from the motherboard graphics on an XPS 7100 simultaneously. A add-on video card is your only option.

Good choices for a cheap video card would be anything with an AMD(a.k.a. ATI) 5450 or a NVidea GTS 220 chipsets. I suggest that you purchase it from your favorite online retailer, rather than Dell because you want to be sure it comes with the desired connectors.

Given your stated criteria, I would slightly favour the AMD as the hardware review sites indicate that AMD video quality is slightly superior.

Masi_GC

No Events found!