Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2009 23:00

Need help in finding a 64 bit or faster running xp

Are there any dell pcs that have a 64 bit or higher that run xp on them. I have an older dim 8400 that has been my work horse for the past several yrs and now I would like to purchase a new pc but still run xp on it. I have been told that I would be better off with a 64 bit system or higher. Could someone give me some ideas on a dell pc that can do this. I mostly run intensive video programs and my youngest son has a game called halo and goes online with it , so I guess I am also looking for something for his gameing and my video production. Ed

12 Posts

February 14th, 2009 07:00

If you want a 64bit OS then its best to go with Vista.  XP 64bit was basically a modified Windows Server 64bit and it suffered from bad software and driver support.

The main advantage of having a 64bit is that it is able to utilise more than 3.5gig of ram, so for memory intensive applications it is quicker.  However if the machine you choose to buy has less that 4gig of ram or you do no intend to upgrade the ram than there is no real need for the 64 bit OS.

There are only a few games programmed with 64bit in mind too, so you sons game wont benefit either.

10 Posts

February 14th, 2009 08:00

I have seen a few pcs with 8gb of ram or even more. Would these be running vista then or possibly some type of servers ? One of my main concerns is that I have a dell 8400 with Pentium 4 CPU, 3.4GHZ and 3GB of ram and I have a machine that still (I would say) bogs down. Slows way down to the point of not using more than 3 programs running. I use Nero 6 extensivly and AutoGK but can not run any program after that without having a freeze up and that is including web serfing.  I would easly let my son have my old pc if I could find a new one to replace it with.

935 Posts

February 14th, 2009 09:00

You can buy systems with 8GB running Vista 64bit. Alot of the Dells can be configured with 4-12GB and Vista 64.

No Events found!