Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2009 11:00

Need info on Dell690 Bus Segmentation

Hi,

I have a Dell690 with a OMY171 Rev. A01 motherboard. This has 7 slots for cards. There is an SAS/SATA controller plus PATA controller and a firewire/usb ports built in. What I need to know is:

(a) How mant bus segments are there

(b) Which controllers/slots are on which bus segments i.e. is slot 4 and the on  board firewire sharing the same slot etc.

I need this information because I have firewire hardware connected that needs it's own seperate bus segment as it's quite demanding.

Thanks

MT

9.3K Posts

The online specs of the Precision Workstation 690 (I assume this is the system you're talking about), just specify it has a PCI 32-bit slot and 2 PCI-X slots.

It doesn't specify if the 3 PCI slots are on 1 bus/channel, or split. However, usually if there's PCI and PCI-X, the 2 aren't put on the same channel as a regular PCI card would then force a slowdown in the PCI-X slots (to just 33MHz instead of the possible 133MHz). I don't know if the 2 PCI-X slots are 1 channel or 2 individual channels.

Obviously, if you're using a PCIe card, it's irrelevant, as every PCIe channel is dedicated.

22 Posts

Thanks for the info.

The link you provided is the one, although, it does say it has the following slots (I've added nfo on how I'm using the slots):

SLOT7_PCIE (not using)

SLOT6_PCIX (firewire card)

SLOT5_PCIX (firewire card)

SLOT4_PCI (not using)

SLOT3_PCIE (not using)

SLOT2_PCIE (graphics card)

SLOT1_PCIE (not using)

In addition to this, the machine as a SAS/SATA, IDE, Gigabit, USB and Firewire controllers onboard. Not sure if I've missed anything out here!

What's crucial for me is that I have an Avid Mojo connected to the onboard firewire controller which is what is recommended by Avid but I want to make sure there is nothing else on this segment.

Is there anyway to get detailed information on how the segements are split because it would help a great deal in organising the external hardware.

Thanks

MT

No Events found!