Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2008 01:00

Need to reinstall OS but no CDRom

I have an XPS 600 desktop with a DVD drive but no floppy or CDRom.  I have the original OS.  The hard drive is corrupt after Windows XP SP3 failed to install (and I did a bad thing).  So now it wont boot up and the BIOS doesnt see any drive but the hard drive and USB.  No CD Rom.  It doesnt see the DVD so I cant change the boot order to get the OS to install.  Any ideas as to how to get the OS to install.

I found the fix.  I needed to restore BIOS to factory defaults and now it sees the DVD drive (says its a CD but whatever, its installing Windows from the DVD disk so Im good to go...all night I guess reinstalling everything.

Message Edited by johnrigsby on 08-19-2008 10:24 PM

202 Posts

August 20th, 2008 03:00

johnergsby: You Can Request Replacement Operating System Media From The Following Page: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

It Should Be Noted That You Can Only Do This Once Per Computer, However, And Although It Looks Like Dell Will Not Be Obtaining OEM Windows XP Service Pack 3 Reinstallation Media (Due 2 The Limited Life Span That Is Left 4 Windows XP As Main Stream Support 4 XP Will End In 2009, And Extended Support 4 XP Will End In 2014), It Should Be Noted That Microsoft Did Create Slipstream Integrated Media 4 XP In Both Home Edition And Professional Edition (I Have Access 2 Both Through My MSDN Subscription, And Access 2 Professiional Edition In My Microsoft Tech Net Edition, Though I Am Not Allowed 2 Share The Software With Anyone, And I Am Only Allowed 2 Use The Software On Test Machines Only), Just FYI. If You Use Your Computer As A Test Machine, You Might Consider Signing Up 4 Either A MSDN Or Microsoft Tech Net Subscription, As An Alternate Means Of Getting The Windows XP Service Pack 3 Software, Just FYI. Please Note, However, That Using The MSDN Or Microsoft Tech Net Software 4 Production Use (Such As Creating A Microsoft Office Document), Is Strictly Prohibited, Unless You Get A MSDN Universal Subscription, And That Subscription Is Now Only Available 2 Corporate Volume Licence Customer's Only, Retail MSDN Universal Has Been Eliminated.

202 Posts

August 20th, 2008 03:00

I Should Clarify That The MSDN Universal Subscription Allows You 2 Use One MSDN Microsoft Office Copy 4 Official Business Use Only, And That All Other Production Use On MSDN Universal Is Prohibited, Just FYI.
No Events found!