Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2008 20:00

New 630I owner with a couple of questions ?

Hi Group,

I have to admit, the past three days has been a real adventure since getting my new 630i.  I've been working with desktops for over 25 years, mostly PC's, a few old Apples in the early '80's and I've never had a machine that seems so quirky.  I update firmware, BIOS, various drivers, and something seems to work better, and then I find other things have changed for the worse or disappeared.   Is this a common feeling with other users of the 630I ?

Anyway, want to be optimistic and plan on getting this beauty tweaked and working flawlessly at some point.

Just a couple of questions.

1) Anyone know why the BIOS shows 4096 installed, but 4095 available ?  Just curious about that ?  Hadn't seen it before in other machines.

3) In the Nvidia Control Panel (with latest updates and firmware), I seem to have lost the video preview that was present with the "adjust image settings with preview" ?  Anyone have any thoughts as to why that preview disappeared ?  SOLVED this problem, but I don't know what I did to do it :smileysurprised:

4) My  system came with a DVD+/-RW single drive.  For some reason, when I try to play a DVD movie, Windows Media Player will NOT play the movie.  The PowerDVD software that came on the machine plays it, but not quality that I want.  Any thoughts as to why WMV won't work on this setup ?  (I set the region to United States).

5) I followed the Nvidia Control Panel recommendation on Updates and downloaded nforce 8.43 driver.  BIG MISTAKE.  Would never install.  Constantly prompted for removal of old drivers and reboots.  What gives with that ?

Thanks for any tips / advice.

Tony

630i (black)

Windows XP Pro

4GB RAM 800 MHz

Core 2 Extreme QX6850 3GH

Dual 8800 GT 512 card, but just removed one to free up more memory ?

1TB 7200 SATA

500GB 7200 SATA

NEC 2190uxi display

Message Edited by tbonanno on 07-26-2008 05:12 PM
Message Edited by tbonanno on 07-26-2008 05:47 PM
Message Edited by tbonanno on 07-26-2008 05:48 PM

114 Posts

July 26th, 2008 21:00

Working with desktops since ´83, wow that´s a long time must have been some experience watching the rise of the home computer from a professional sight.

My dell experience has also been some sort of adventure, but now it´s getting annoying. So yes, your feelings is pretty common for 630 users. I recieved my system exchange about 4-5 days ago, and yesterday i got my first one in return repared. Dell must have been really confused when giving me a system exchange.

The 630 is a beatiful but strange system, i´ve tried since mars to get it working to match the spec, but it never matched the performance a system with those spec should have and the new one i havn´t tested out yet. I´m far from a satisfied costumer.

But a tip: Installing Service pack 1 (if you got vista) and disableing C1E and SPEEDSTEP under CPU feature in BIOS made my machine a lot faster.

19 Posts

July 26th, 2008 21:00

Thanks Bronze for the quick response.  Yeah, started out with Apple II+, then to CP/M machines, and then PC's and Windows. 

Getting old though and not as quick with the stuff as I use to be.  

This is probably my 5th or 6th Dell over the years, and definitely the strangest machine I've seen yet.  The past couple of years, I've been running locally built dual core AMD.  Thought this would be faster for my photo work (what I still do professionally).  Not so sure its a very dramatic improvement yet.  Be nice just to get the machine in a reliable state so I can start doing some serious work on it.

Cheers,

Tony

7 Posts

July 26th, 2008 23:00

Re your problem with your DVD, PowerDVD loads a program PDVDDXSrv.exe in startup.  Try deleting it through task manager for your current session (it will reload when you reboot) or unticking it under the startup tab in MSCONFIG to stop it loading at all (you can reverse this to bring it back althougn I cannot see why it is needed).  If you have had the problems with autorun not working on your DVD drive I think you will find this solution will fix this also.

No Events found!