Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2017 08:00

New Dell 8910 will not wake from sleep with mouse or keyboard.

I just received my 8910 two days ago, set up went well etc., but when I put it to sleep the mouse and keyboard (that came with the pc) will not wake it up. I have to push the power button and sometimes this will not wake it. Drivers and software are all up to date. Allow mouse to wake computer is checked in options. After spending 20 minutes on the phone waiting for tech service and being disconnected twice, I have almost given up. Thank you to anyone who might have a fix for this issue.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 4th, 2017 13:00

Power on and IMMEDIATELY press F2 to open BIOS setup.

Go to the Advanced tab and enable USB Wake Support.  It's disabled by default on the XPS 8910.

Don't make any other changes in BIOS setup. Save the change to USB Wake and exit setup.

You can see the BIOS screens here:

en.community.dell.com/.../20003503

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 4th, 2017 10:00

Open Power Options by right clicking on the Start Button, select Change Settings of your Power Plan, Advanced settings and go through everything to set it how you like. Or even set up a new power plan. You can always set it back to the default settings. Read about Hibernation and other settings to decide how you want to set the plan. As you know, Hibernation and Hybrid Sleep requires a brief press of the power button to wake the computer. If a keypress won't work use the power button. I find that disabling Hibernation and never putting the hard drive to sleep works for me. I also set the power button to Hibernate so that is still available but not automatic. You decide how you want Power to work. If you use your desktop all day long, even turning off Sleep should be considered. You can always manually put the computer to Sleep or Hibernate.

Also change/check What the Power Button does and when to turn off the display.

2 Posts

March 4th, 2017 14:00

RoHe, this worked like a charm, very easy to do. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 4th, 2017 17:00

and you're welcome.

Please mark this thread as Answered.

No Events found!