Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2010 08:00

New Dell Support Center - Receive Error Code 1306

I have been trying to download the new Dell Support Center to my Dimension 5000 running XP, and keep receiving error code 1306 - another application has exclusive access to a particular file.  It suggests I shut down all other applications and then retry.  However, nothing is open, and I can get nowhere with the download.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone run into this problem?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 12th, 2010 16:00

There are many files, processes, services & programs open even when nothing is running in the taskbar--just check Task Manager. Dell Support Center runs at every boot and that's the program that is probably blocking the installation or download. You can open the support center and shut it down or use the Task Manager to do it, but I recommend that you wait a while or skip it altogether. There have been a few glitches reported here on the forum with the new Support Center.  Since you still have XP there's probably nothing in the new release that will help you much.  It might even cause problems on your computer.

Edit: It could be a problem with the Dell Download site, too. It seems to be slow or non responsive today.

December 13th, 2010 08:00

I had the same 1306 error with my Dell XP desktop after trying to update DELL SUPPORT CENTER.  

The fix that worked for me: 

At startup (desktop), do not run the AULAUNCHER program that pops up.  Select "cancel"

Hit  the Windows Start button (on bottom task bar)

Select Run

enter msconfig

go to Services tab, deselect the Supportsoft line

go to Startup tab, deselect all lines that reference Dell Support Center (I believe I had 3 lines)

Click "apply" at bottom of window.  System will reboot and Support Center should not load at Startup.

After the system boots, verify that sprtemd.exe is not running (using Task Manager-processes tab; this file should not be listed).    

Now run the AULAUNCHER.EXE program that had been previously downloaded from Dell.  The new version of Support Center should install normally.   

Following the installation of the new version, I then went back to msconfig, and re-selected the items that I had turned off on the Services and Startup tabs.

See my posting from 10:32 am (12/13/10)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Locked file problem.

Product: Dell Support Center (Support Software) -- Error 1306.

Another application has exclusive access to the file

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SupportSoft\DellSupportCenter\SYSTEM\state\logs\sprtcmd .log.

Please shut down all other applications, then click Retry.

UNISTALL the support center software and reboot.

Then manually re-install the newer version.

1 Message

December 18th, 2010 06:00

To Fly-fish Wisconsin:   Thank you very much for taking your time to post a suggested answer to solve the problem concerning error 1306.  I followed your instructions and the new version Dell Support Center is now running on my computer.   My initial reaction is, an improvement on previous version.  Once again thank you. 

Joust 

11 Posts

December 28th, 2010 01:00

Many thanks FlyFish_Wisconsin 

Your solution really hit the spot. :emotion-2:

Tom

1 Message

January 6th, 2011 20:00

Great catch FlyFish! I tried your solution and it worked flawlessly! The system rebooted as soon as I clicked Close on the MSCONFIG window,and immediately self-installed "aulauncher.exe" without further incident. I re-enabled all Dell Support Center processes in MSCONFIG, rebooted again and the program works beautifully. In fact, the new PC Check feature (powered by PC-Doctor) uncovered an imminent hard drive failure (which is under warranty and will be replaced free of charge), and a Core Duo misconfiguration which is likely causing many of my slow-downs, screen refresh problems and erratic browsing behaviors. So, you and Dell are both lifesavers!

Thanks a million!

:emotion-11:

1 Message

March 3rd, 2011 07:00

I have the same problem. Error message 1306. I have a dimesion 4600 with XP. If I do nothing about the Support Center download does that mean I will no longer get updates from Dell?

March 3rd, 2011 09:00

I had this problem today and faced two options

1) buy a registry optimiser with error 1306 removal function

or 

2) Go to control panel click on add/remove programmes and remove old Dcell support centre the download newest version

I opted for 2) and it worked a treat.

March 3rd, 2011 09:00

I had this problem today and faced two options

1) buy a registry optimiser with error 1306 removal function

or 

2) Go to control panel click on add/remove programmes and remove old Dell support centre then download newest version

I opted for 2) and it worked a treat.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2011 10:00

I followed the instructions.  For some reason, it didn't work for me!  My computer doesn't even start now.  Any help to get my computer restart again would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I did:

-  Closed all the applications

-  Followed the instructions

-  After closed msconfig, confirmed to restart the system.

The system then shut down, and was restarting.  However, it got stuck on the "restarting".  Normally, the computer comes back on and things are happening/screens are flashing....all that.  However, in this case, the computer is stuck and no screens coming back on!

I could see (the light of the computer keeps flashing - it stays orange and never turns green)  and hear that the computer is working very hard (occasionally  makes some beeping sound)....but just wouldn't restart!

HELP PLEASE!!!

3 Posts

March 10th, 2011 11:00

Fly-fish Wisconsin:  I followed the instructions.  For some reason, it didn't work for me!  My computer doesn't even start now.  Any help to get my computer restart again would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I did:

-  Closed all the applications

-  Followed the instructions

-  After closed msconfig, confirmed to restart the system.

The system then shut down, and was restarting.  However, it got stuck on the "restarting".  Normally, the computer comes back on and things are happening/screens are flashing....all that.  However, in this case, the computer is stuck and no screens coming back on!

I could see (the light of the computer keeps flashing - it stays orange and never turns green)  and hear that the computer is working very hard (occasionally  makes some beeping sound)....but just wouldn't restart!

HELP PLEASE!!!  Any help from anyone to get my computer restarted would be GREATLY appreciated.

March 12th, 2011 14:00

Sorry to hear that you had a problem at the reboot.

Not sure what to recommend.  I guess, I would try booting into "safe-mode", and then undo the changes you made.

It would really be nice if Dell offered an official "fix" to the observed 1306 errors.  

3 Posts

March 15th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for the reply, and the suggestion.  Unfortunately, my computer doesn't even get to that point where I could use safe mode!  It seems that it gets stuck at a point even before anything like the monitor, keyboard, CD ROM, USB.....gets recognized.

Yeah, Dell should have a fix asap before it causes problems to more users.  Also, hopefully, they will have it fixed for me with no charge.

No Events found!