1 Nickel

Re: New Dell XPS 8300 constantly Locking up.. help

Jump to solution
This could be the Poer Management
Szczepanik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This could be the Power Options settings in Windows 7. The Dell XPS-8300 (amongst other systems) does not yet appear to support USB keyboard/mouse after sleep/hibernation. All you can do, if the power light is dim after sleep, is to reboot. Check Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options & Change when the computer sleeps - if necessary to "never". I can't I find hibernate options on my computer start menu - see MS http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Check the BIOS downloads  for updates from Dell to fix the problem - Current Download Type: BIOS Version: A03 Release Date: 01/03/2011

Cheers
Tom

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Anybody tested this in Safe Mode?

Anybody looked at the USB Power Management tab in Device Manager and unchecked "Allow PC to turn off this device to save power" ? (Assuming Win 7 has same power options as earlier versions of the OS.)

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Just returned from my long weekend away and switched on my new Dell now 8 days old. It locked up again within minutes, rebooted was fine for a couple of minutes and then locked up again while I was playing minesweeper (yes I still play that once in awhile  🙂 ). It hasn't yet spontaneously rebooted being locked in the game in full screen mode. I'll let it be tonight and then phone Dell tomorrow morning and let them try and deal with it remotely.

Or is it better to try your suggestions above first before I phone Dell? If I do that where do I find the chipset drivers, sata drivers and Dell video card drivers?

On other threads others were suggesting to completely and entirely remove the Dell video drivers for the ATI video card and install the newest ATI drivers from the AMD website. I have those and know how to uninstall and reinstall the Catalyst Control Centre. But I haven't ever had to reinstall chipset or sata drivers.

What think you?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

HI Tom,

Thanks very much for the suggestions. My XPS 8300 shipped with the most recent BIOS version (A03 - or at least that is what is listed when I run CPUID)  so I don't think that is a problem.

I went into Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Power Options and changed the preferred plan labelled Dell so that the button beside Put the computer to sleep: now lists Never.

Has been running for a few minutes now without a lockup. Let's hope that does the trick.

Kind of a drag in terms of power consumption, however, if the computer cannot put itself to sleep after a couple of hours.

Incidentally, the default in the Dell power plan was to put it to sleep after 2 hours. Don't you think it strange that this setting would cause it to lockup after being on for only a few minutes?

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

ROHE

This is an interesting possibility that I never considered. I cannot find the USB Management tab in Device Manager for my OS (win 7 home premium). What I have found is:

Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Power Options \ Edit Plan Settings

and then clicking on Change advanced power settings I get a popup window that lists a number of possibilities

Dell
Hard disk
Desktop background settings
Wireless Adapter Settings
Sleep 
USB Settings

Under USB Settings there is USB selective suspend setting and that setting is enabled.

Should that be disabled? 

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I would try disabling selective suspsend for USB to see if it fixes the problem.

I don't use Win 7, but in XP, if you expand the list under USB in Device Manager and double-click on each Root Hub, you'll see a Power Management tab which has the "Allow PC to turn off this device..." option I mentioned. By default, it's checked (enabled) in XP. 

I don't know if the setting you found is the Win 7 version of the XP setting...

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi Ron,

I found the USB power management option. It is just as you described - I just had to hunt a little to find it in Win 7. What is listed in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is:

Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

I disabled "Allow PC to turn off this device..." option for the last two listed (USB Root Hub).

However, when I click on Keyboards and also Mice and other pointing devices under Device Manager I notice that this option to turn off the device is not enabled under Power Management whether or not I have disabled it for the two USB Root Hubs.

The good news is that my computer has now been running without locking up for two hours after changing the Power Options so that the computer never sleeps.

If this works, the next step will to figure out how re-enable the ability of the computer to sleep without it spontaneously locking up again.

0 Kudos
Szczepanik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Aras1, Power management hs been enhanced in Windows 7 and the XPS 8300 is a new PC with a superb new processor. With all the combinations of hardware, settings and MicroSoft software it is not surprising that things go wrong. You may wish to search for help on using a utility that can help  to "inspect a Windows platform for common energy efficiency problems": PowerCfg
Cheers
Tom