Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2015 09:00

New Dell XPS 8700 Problems

Hi,

Having needed to change over from using mainly Apple computers to using PC, I don't know too much about computers. I bought a new Dell XPS 8700 roughly 3 days ago. Upon opening the package and setting it up however, I noticed that the CPU fan had not being screwed on and was moving inside the case, so I screwed it back on. Upon turning on the computer for the first time there have been a few problems.

tl;dr- New computer is in an endless loop of loading, errors, automatic repair and choosing the keyboard layout. Diagnostic Tests say that the computer is fine, Legacy and custom recovery disks do not work and I am stumped.

Computer- Dell XPS 8700

Processor- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz

When turning on the computer, it starts to load, but then a blue screen saying, "Your PC has run into a problem" appears and then almost immediately goes black. After going black, the computer once again loads however this time  "Preparing Automatic Repair" is displayed on the bottom of the screen. Upon finishing loading it asks for the keyboard layout, and then gives 2 options;

Troubleshoot and

Turn off your PC.

Upon clicking troubleshoot I am given 4 more options;

Refresh your PC,

Reset your PC,

Dell Backup and Recovery and

Advanced Options.

When I click on Refresh your PC it states "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." When I click Reset Your PC it states "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." Once I click Dell Backup and Recovery it states "The recovery environment is incomplete or corrupted," and then tells me to recover the device from another bootable recovery media (which I do not have). Upon clicking Advanced Options I am once again given 5 more options;

System Restore,

System Image Recovery,

Startup Repair,

Command Prompt and

UEFI Firmware Settings.

System Restore states that I must specify the Windows installation to restore. System Image Recovery states that "An internal error occurred" and then states that the system could not find the file specified (0x80070002). Startup Repair will try to diagnose the problem and then states that "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC . Command Prompt opens up the command prompt. UEFI Firmware Settings tells me to restart to edit the UEFI Firmware Settings.

After contacting Dell support, and spending multiple hours worth of running diagnostic tests on the system, it stated that there was nothing wrong with the computer.

After reading up a bit on fixing the problem, I held down while booting up. Upon trying a Legacy boot, it states "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key." Upon trying to create a recovery disk on a USB and trying to make it boot from the USB, it would spend some time loading and then repeated the same line as mentioned above.

Upon holding down , and accessing the Aptio Setup Utility, boot mode was set as UEFI and upon trying Legacy it gave the same message in the paragraph above. Upon trying to edit any other settings, it either did nothing or just gave the same message.

Upon trying to enter safe mode by holding down it would still just load normally and continue in the same endless loop. Upon holding down as well while holding it down, the blue loading bar would freeze and would only continue loading when was released and then also continued in the same loop.

As a fairly new PC user with little to no experience and going online to look for solutions for the past 3 or so days, I am stumped.

All help would be appreciated, and thank you for your time!

September 29th, 2015 06:00

Purchased five new XPS 8700's in August with windows 10 installed. Four out of five units have the same problem as you with the endless loop. They don't boot past the Dell logo. I am a computer technician and have been working on computers for over 15 years and have never come across this problem. All hardware checks out ok and the os shows no errors when removing the disk and checking it out on another system.

I also removed any peripherals and reseated all internal hardware but the problem still persists.

I tried startup repair, system repair, reset, and a complete reset using a flash drive. I ran all the appropriate tests on hardware and nothing shows that there is a problem but at the same time the units won't boot past the dell logo.

I returned three out of the five and will be returning the last one today, I will be purchasing an HP instead. I received absolutely no help from Dell tech support who told me to call Microsoft which is total bull ***. The computer was built by dell and the os was installed with their tested drivers. Dell should be responsible but they are pushing me off to Microsoft. I will never purchase another Dell again for me or any of my clients.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 29th, 2015 13:00

Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Find the Secure Boot option and disable it. Save the change and exit setup.

See if it boots now.

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 10:00

Hi ListeningStone, I have the very same issue with my 2 month old Dell XPS 8700 which I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and it worked fine for just under 2 months.  I had bought it at Costco - it's under the 90-day return period and may return it today after having spent the last 3-4 days troubleshooting this, including Dell phone support - it sucked. I have tried various start-up options using F2 and F10 (including SecureBoot disabled, different media (USB, DVD)... essentially all combinations). Only thing I do not have either the original Win 8 or Win 10 OS disc but I got the install ISO from the Microsoft website and extracted to DVD, USB.  Dell shipped me the factory recovery disk as well. At or after Dell logo, it simply hangs and would not do anything irrespective of having to boot from a recovery disk or Win 10 install disc. However I tried a Win 7 Ultimate original OS disc and I could boot from there to the Install/Repair menu. From there I could get to Command Prompt and xcopied all user files to USB drive. I am unable to force Startup Repair options from Win 7 OS disc, and it stalls citing OS mismatch (understandable, but I just wanted to exhaust even crazy possibilities to try recovering this machine).

If you found a solution, please share.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2015 18:00

I'll ping my Dell tech contacts to see what they have to suggest...

5 Posts

October 4th, 2015 08:00

Hello Rohe, thank you.  If you can ping Dell support and if someone has seen this issue that will be very helpful.

PC hanging at start-up is not a new issue, however not being able to boot up using any recovery media or Win OSI install sources seems quite frustrating...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 4th, 2015 17:00

Read this too...

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 5th, 2015 06:00

Hello Rohe, thank you.  If you can ping Dell support and if someone has seen this issue that will be very helpful.

PC hanging at start-up is not a new issue, however not being able to boot up using any recovery media or Win OSI install sources seems quite frustrating...

Hi stevezki,

If you purchased from Costco, and you are still under your 90 day warranty, you should return to Costco and get an exchange for a new system.  If you are outside your 90 days, please register the ownership into your name using the Registration Form and contact Dell Tech Support for service.

Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

5 Posts

October 5th, 2015 11:00

Tried many of the same troubleshooting steps again, but same results - hangs at Dell logo.

I have returned the XPS 8700 to Costco but will wait on purchasing a replacement. 

Meanwhile, dusted off my Dell Dimension E510 :-) running Windows 7 which I purchased in 2005... It works!

No Events found!