Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 31st, 2017 11:00

New HD on XPS 8700

I have a XPS 8700 with a AMD Radeon 7500 graphics card and a Win10 upgrade would only produce a black screen for login, although the window to login was there, you could not see it, typing in my password would get me login.  I wish to install a new hd and fresh windows 10; I have an activation window10 key, what else do I need and do you think i will have the same problems with the black screen login???

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 31st, 2017 12:00

You could try to do a Win 10 Refresh or Reset first, unless you really want to install Windows on a new HDD. Either way, back up your personal files on external media first, to be safe. :emotion-5:

Info about Refresh and Reset are here:

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

21 Posts

May 31st, 2017 13:00

tried that, did not work

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 31st, 2017 13:00

Does this only happen during a cold boot or during a warm re-boot too?

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

1.2K Posts

May 31st, 2017 14:00

What BIOS version are you running? I seem to recall A11 was needed for Windoze 10.

21 Posts

May 31st, 2017 15:00

In trying to find the problem and numerous "repair" for Win10, I now have a hybrid system that does not work either as a Win10 or Win8, although it thinks it's a Win10 system when you look under systems info.  It has worked well enough until now and it;s starting to get to me which is why i am looking to install a new HD and system and use the current drive as a slave; as I have files that I want to still use, once I copy those files over to a back up, I will format the current drive and use as a storage drive.  I am concerned that I will still have the login problem, will check the bios and see what it is and will update as needed, but as for trying to fix the current drive, I do not think it is possible?  Any repair or update does not work; just fails mid way through either.  Do you have a link for the bio upgrade?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 1st, 2017 10:00

BIOS A11:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Read and follow the instructions to update BIOS very carefully because there's always a chance a BIOS update will fail and brick the motherboard.

If it were my system, I'd try a clean install on a new HDD, without updating BIOS first, to see if that solves the problem. You can always update BIOS afterwards, if necessary.  

Remove or at least disconnect the current HDD before attempting the clean install and make sure the new HDD is connected to the SATA0 port on the motherboard.

BTW: Do you have a 32-GB SSD drive in this system that's used as a cache?

21 Posts

June 1st, 2017 11:00

no

No Events found!