Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2013 20:00

New Inspiron 660s two Beep no RAM Detected

I have had this desktop for four months.  When i power down then try to reboot, the two beep error occurs.  I discovered that this would apply to NO RAM DETECTED.  I've checked the memory seating to assure that it is in place to the click. This had happened before but booted successfully after unplugging the power, without entering the unit.  It appears the unit will not come out of this error this time. What should be done?

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 21:00

Hi JamousBond,

You may drain out the residual power of computer by following the steps below:

• Please disconnect all the peripherals connected to computer.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds
  • Release the power button --> Connect monitor, keyboard and mouse
  • Power on the system and see if it issue persists.

Another step you may try is to reseat the memory modules of your computer; swap and try one module at a time in each slot. See if it works. If the memory modules are seated properly, swapped and checked, It might be an issue with memory slot. 

You may find detailed steps on reseating memory from the manual of system: http://bit.ly/ZAJrdN 

Please ensure to follow safety instructions in manual and share the findings. 

March 15th, 2014 10:00

My computer will not start up either. I am getting the 2 beep code. I tried switching the memory already and have powered the computer down many times. It will not boot up.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2014 12:00

Don1stchoice

Please always include the computer model in your post.

Have you installed new memory recently?

Remove all the memory modules, reinstall one module, and restart the computer, if the system does not boot, install the module in different slots one at a time, rebooting the system each time.

Still does not boot, then use a different module and repeat the process.

Continue until you have identified a faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Then if the computer still does not start, it's possible that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

March 15th, 2014 13:00

It is an Inspiron 660s I purchased it from bestbuy in September. This happened twice already. After turning everything off and unplugging everything it restarted the first time. Last time someone from dell told me to take out the ram and switch the ports. I did it and it worked for 3 more weeks.  Now, as of this morning, it just beeps and won't start at all. Nothing has been done and nothing added to this computer.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2014 15:00

Don1stchoice

As you purchased the 660s in September, you should have a Dell warranty in effect, have you tried contacting Dell's Tecnical Support about this issue?

Have you the RAM troubleshooting procedures listed in my previous post?

There should be a series of beeps during start-up, how many are there?

Bev.

March 15th, 2014 16:00

As per Dell tech support: they told me since I purchased it from bestbuy I have to bring it there for warranty repair. I use this for my appraisal business so all of my software is licensed to this specific computer. I back up every month but cannot afford to lose any work files from this computer. My computer beeps twice when on like I said in the first post.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2014 16:00

Don1stchoice

Two "beeps' indicate a memory issue, first try removing and reinstalling the modules, to see if this makes a difference.

No difference, then use the procedures to troubleshoot the memory modules, I gave in my previous post.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19497610/20580213.aspx#20580213

Bev.

Edited to add content.

1 Message

June 6th, 2017 10:00

Yes, removing, reversing, and re-installing the two memory cards worked for me.    HOORAY and THANK YOU SOOOOO much !!!  And, I also downloaded the repair manual, which helped me do the job quickly and will help with any future problems.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 6th, 2017 11:00

NEW-BE

Bev.

No Events found!