Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2015 06:00

New Inspiron out-of-box Windows 10 error

Unpacked an Inspiron 3647, new direct purchase from dell.com with Windows 10 (as advertised on 7/28/15), and upon power up, the setup wizard asks for a Microsoft Account. We didn't have one so we clicked the option to create a microsoft account, filled in our profile information and then it asks for verification. So we go into another room to check our email from another computer. The verification email took longer than usual but upon going back to our new Inspiron 3647 in the other room the monitor was flashing different colors and the mouse and keyboard were not responding to "wake it up".  We had to press and hold the power button to shut down.

Upon turning it back on, the screen first showed the Dell logo but then displayed a screen with the new Windows 10 logo and an icon in the center displaying Defaultuser0 account, please contact your administrator.  Underneath it said, your account has been disabled.  There was an OK button but upon clicking it another similar screen appear displaying Administrator, your account has been disabled. Ok button didn't take us anywhere so we were locked.  No other buttons to go into Safe Mode or reboot. 

So, new out of box and we can't use it. Is this because we didn't have the Microsoft Account upon setup? Then why offer to create an account if that doesn't work?

3 Posts

August 14th, 2015 07:00

I have the exact problem. I was going through the setup phases. I clicked on time zone and then had to make dinner. When I returned, my screen was a crazy array of horizontal colors with no response from mouse or keyboard. I too did a hard shut off. When I turned it back on, I get "defaultuser0" - the same as you. Did you ever get a response from Dell? How did you get this fixed?

3 Posts

August 14th, 2015 12:00

No - I have a 3847. It was delivered Wed 8/12. The Dell Service # is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 14th, 2015 12:00

lguelcher- Do you have the same Inspiron 3647 as  drssabatini?

I've pinged my Dell tech contacts to review this thread...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 14th, 2015 13:00

My Dell tech contact says this is a known issue with Win 10 and Dell's Win 10 team is working hard to solve it. So stay tuned for further info...

Hopefully they'll fix it quickly and you can get your systems running.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 14th, 2015 20:00

Please remove the Service Tag from your post. Consider your Tag as private info and never post it in a public forum. It's also a violation of the forum's terms of use and the moderators could delete your whole post.

Thanks.

2 Posts

August 21st, 2015 14:00

Any solution? I' mom hold right now with tech support with the exact same issue.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 07:00

I used the online support instead of calling. The first "solution" we tried was to replace the hard drive. A Dell tech came to my house and replaced the drive. Once it looked like it was running through the boot sequence, he left. I then had the exact same thing happen with the new hard drive. So I got back on online tech support. Now I am waiting for a replacement computer.

If I had to guess,I think there is something incompatible with Win10 among the main computer components that maybe have a defect of some sort. I'll be interested to see what happens with a new system.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 08:00

That's where I was headed too, but I got it working. While the tech was working on scheduling a harddrive shipment I played around with it. I booted into Safe Mode and brought up a command line. Once there I added a new user account and rebooted into normal startup. It came up with that user and I was able to select it and get into Windows where it took over and continued on through the setup process. Everything seems to be working fine now.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2015 16:00

Here i the easy answer:  Press and hold the shift key while restarting the PC.  You will be taken to a screen that allows you to factory restore the PC.  Perform the factory restore.

When setting up the PC for the first time, do not walk away from the system for 5 minutes or you will end up with the same problem.

1 Message

September 27th, 2015 20:00

When I press the shift key while booting I see the flash screen of some sort of setup but it then jumps immediately to defaultuser0. Also when booting pressing shift key seems to pause the booting.

Do you press the shift key after the boot or from the restart. Pressing from restart causes the pause during dell boot

No Events found!