Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2011 11:00

New OS installation EXTREMELY slow

I have been working on a Dell Dimension 3000. At first it wouldn't recognize the CD Rom drive. I finally figured out it had been changed in the BIOS & fixed that. Now that works fine.

I replaced the HD, as it was fried.

Now I am TRYING to install XP Home edition and it is EXTREMELY SLOW......like more than 24 hours. It started out fairly fast, then slowed down. When I went to finish it, Windows wouldn't load, saying there was a file that either didn't load or was corrupted.

I tried to do a repair install and it did the same thing.

Now I am REFORMATTING the HD (500 GB) and it has been going for about 2 hours and is only at 2%. The processor light is on and I can hear it running...the normal sounds when it's doing anything.

ALSO it has 1500 (approx.) RAM memory.

6.4K Posts

October 4th, 2011 11:00

Just as a check, restart the computer and press F2 during the Dell logo to reach System Setup.  Use the arrow keys to examine the Processor settings.  Some Dells of that vintage have a setting for processor speed that can be set to Normal or Compatible.  It needs to be in Normal as otherwise the speed of the computer is reduced to what you might find on an old 486 machine.

6.4K Posts

October 4th, 2011 12:00

Happy to help.  Good luck!

25 Posts

October 4th, 2011 12:00

It is formatting the HD now and has jumped up to 34% now; so as soon as it finishes, I will check that in the BIOS. I know it is currently set at COMPATIBLE and I wondered about that but haven't tried changing it yet.

I will post back to let you know if it worked or not. Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 4th, 2011 14:00

The D3000 also has that dumb OS Install Mode option in BIOS setup.  So if you continue to have problems, set the CPU setting to Normal, as JackShack suggested, and turn OS Install Mode On in BIOS.

And then turn OS Install mode Off after XP finishes installing and you reboot. Otherwise, the system will only be able to use 256 MB of RAM after the installation is complete. (Leave the CPU set to Normal.)

No Events found!