Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 4th, 2003 07:00

New Speakers...

Hi,

Before i get started, i know this problem isnt related to Dell, but i've seen plenty of peeps posting here that have the same speakers in their sig's, and maybe someone might have some advice/help, thx.

Well, I recently bought some Logitech Z680 speakers, as an upgrade
from my old Z640's. The sound/power of the Z680 speakers is
really awesome, but i get this constant white noise (hiss)
from the speakers. The loudest hissing noise coming from
the centre speaker. At lower volumes the hiss from the
centre speaker can still be heard (although the hiss from
the remaining satellite speakers is drowned out even at
very low volumes).

At first it didnt bother me, but after a few hours at my pc
it starts becoming unbearable listening to the high pitched
hissing. When not playing music or gaming, i just cant keep
the speakers on.

I have read on the logitech support site, that most high
powered speakers emit a slight hiss/noise which can only be
heard when your ear is right next to (or 'very close' to)
the speaker. Well, the closest speaker is about a metre
away from my ear, and the noise can still be heard
(clearly).

I have an Audigy2 sound card so i dont think that it could
be causing the problem. My old Z640's had not one bit
inteference or noise/hissing. I am using the analog inputs
that came with the Z680's, would a digital input solve the
hissing problem?

Please could you give me some advice on what the problem
is? This constant hiss/noiseis driving me mad.

Thanks for any help.

October 17th, 2003 08:00

Turn on your speaker.

You see those sockets on your sound card try them all. Till you dont hear that hiisss anymore. Dont worry when you try plugging it in into different socket on your sound card you wont get any viruses. Dude dont be afraid to experiment thats only way youll learn . Remember from mistakes.

No one is perfect.

chris

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 17th, 2003 09:00

The hissing on some high powered speakers may be there, because of the higher power and the (poor) design of the electronics. 

But, trying every plug as suggested is NOT the way to go as some are inputs, not outputs.  The "shotgun" method of just plugging something in and see if it works is a good way to cause problems or ruin something.

As far as digital over analog, if the white noise (hiss) is internal in the speakers amplifiers, not coming from the sound card, it shouldn't make a difference.  If you send the speakers digital (assuming they will accept digital) then all they are going to do is convert the digital to audio and then send it to the same audio amplifier that you use when you connect analog to them.

October 17th, 2003 23:00

What kind of sound card do you have since you didnt mention what device you were using?

You should be more specific so trouble shooting would be much easier for us to resolve your problem.

Trying all sockets on the soundcard dont burn anything. Those hissing noises means that you must have put the plug on the wrong socket. Trying all socket is easier to resolve the problem since you can actually hear if there's a sound or what not rather than going to system properties and messing up the settings even though the problem is within the plugs.

goodluck

chris

30 Posts

October 19th, 2003 16:00

If it was me, I would make sure that your volume control in windows isnt up to the max, if that doesnt solve the problem, ensure that your windows advanced speaker settings are set for the appropriate ammount of speakers(NOT DRIVER SETTINGS, WINDOWS SETTINGS!) If them logitechs came with a transformer, make sure that no speakers wire is near the transformer. If that still doesnt help, buy some ferrit cores for each of your speaker cables and fix them in place(DONT WORRY THEY ARE CHEAP) if that still dont work, ask for a replacement.

Kind Regards

Adam

1 Message

December 18th, 2003 17:00

I have bought a 8300 dimension system 10 days ago w/ Altec Lansing® ADA745 4.1 Surround Sound Speakers w/ Subwoofer. First these speaker system came only with a quick connect card. When playing certain DVD movies, the rear (surround) speakers do sound but everyother time they are silent including playing music with original CDs. I have properly set up a quad configuration but no sound. What's wrong? Why can't I get all four speakers to be operational?. This system has no mode switch and Dell does not provide a full installation manual.

Please help!!

410 Posts

December 18th, 2003 18:00

Henessey: he mentions having an Audigy 2 card. I don't know how you missed it.

I don't think there is a 'fix' for the hiss. Mine does it too. But I have the tv on all the time so I never hear it. Or I've just gotten used to it. If it bothers you, you may have to go back to some lower powered speakers.

No Events found!