Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2009 16:00

New Video Card Installation Issue

Hello Community! Help Please!

I bought a PNY GeForce 9400 GT to upgrade my 4 year old XPS 4. It is a PCI express card and it is just a different brand from the one that Dell recommends from their site as one I should go with to upgrade. However, when I installed the new card, I get cooling fans at full blast and nothing else. I return the old card to the slot and everything works fine. What gives? Is this a bad card or what? Should I return it and try another one? I really don't want to go driving back and forth to the store, but I need the upgrade. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2 Posts

The latest BIOS version from Dell is from 2005, and yes, I have already installed it.

11 Posts

Well it seems that the BIOS on your 4 yeal old dell somehow does not seem to like the new hardware that you install. If you remove it and the system boots normally, then the next step to troubleshoot this problem would be to find out if there are any BIOS upgrades for your Dell System and have you installed them?

11 Posts

January 17th, 2009 21:00

when you install the new card, do you hear any beeps when the system boots? if not then uninstall the card and boot the computer using the on board VGA card. I have seen this problem before where when you are adding or changing hardware on dell. typically it is resolved if you uninstall the PCI cards, memory modules, USB devices and install them back one at a time and booting the computer to see if it boots normally.

4.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 05:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Since your old card works, it would suggest a problem of some sort with the new card?

But try uninstalling/reinstalling/updating the graphics drivers first?

Although it's advisable to use the graphics drivers provided by Dell in laptops, it's not so important to use the graphics drivers they offer in a desktop system.

You're far better to get the latest ones, directly off the Nvidia website.

[edit]  If you're using XP, change the OS accordingly [/edit]

Is the new card showing in Device Manager?

No Events found!