Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2012 13:00

New Video Card

I have a question about video cards. I am trying to run Fallout 3 (minimum of NVIDIA GeForce 6800) on my stock Inspiron 530s. I'm looking into buying a new video card (www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx) for my system. I'd like to know if this would work or not my computer. I think it will, but I might need a better power supply. Stock 530s comes with a 250W power supply and the card requires a minimum of 400W. I'm on a pretty tight budget, any ideas?

3 Posts

January 29th, 2012 13:00

Another question was would this work with the stock motherboard? I saw where it said, "PCI Express video cards won't work with motherboards designed only for AGP or PCI video cards." I don't know what the stock motherboard is, that is why I am asking.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

January 29th, 2012 14:00

Another question was would this work with the stock motherboard? I saw where it said, "PCI Express video cards won't work with motherboards designed only for AGP or PCI video cards." I don't know what the stock motherboard is, that is why I am asking.

Your 530's comes with a PCIe slot on your motherboard, and that card will run on your mobo. Dell stock PSU is OK, you don't need 400w for the card.

1.5K Posts

The 8400 GS does not meet the minimum requirements for the game.  The 6800 is actually better.  You will be disappointed with this card for gaming.  You will never be able to reach the recommended card with the system you have.  I would look at possibly getting the HD 5570 or HD 6570 low profile card.  

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

If your still unsure, then use this card below,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134136

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 29th, 2012 18:00

This should work: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

The 6800GT was the king of the hill in 2005, but nowadays budget cards like the 6570 will match or exceed it. And, they don't need high wattage power supplies to do so -- your 250-watt is sufficient.

No Events found!