Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 21st, 2013 13:00

New XPS 8500 Hard drive clicking

I have a new XPS 8500.  I installed an SSD in SATA 0, left the DVD in SATA 1, installed the original Seagate HD in SATA 2 and placed a new WD 1T Black in SATA 3.

First I did not change BIOS. Is this configuration okay.

I have clicking in the new WD about every 3 seconds.  I did an RMA and the replacement clicks as well.  I disconnected the drive and clicking is gone. Is there anything in the BIOS settings that contribute to the clicking.  Is this an issue or something that is consistent with this WD drive?  I have replaced numerous drives and never had clicking before.

Dave

5.2K Posts

April 21st, 2013 14:00

If all the drives have the correct Drive Letters, you are OK. The SSD should be C: , the DVD player D:, the SD card reader E:, and the other hard drives F and G:. If you haven't installed Win 8 yet, go to the UEFI Bios and see how the drives are listed.

51 Posts

April 21st, 2013 14:00

The drives are listed differently, but the SSD is drive c with Win* OS installed.  I assume that is ok.  Any thoughts about the clicking?

1.5K Posts

April 21st, 2013 16:00

Clicking could be characteristic of the drive.  I have had drives that clicked constantly but nothing was really wrong with them. You can run a test on the drive to make sure no problems are showing up.  I almost got that drive but decided on the Seagate HERE instead when it went on sale for $59.  It runs really quiet and had a higher benchmark score than the WD Black.  A clicking hard drive is very annoying though.  

No Events found!