Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2013 19:00

New XPS 8700 - No Product Key Sticker?

Hello all,

I just received my new XPS 8700 from FedEx today. I was checking out the PC case to admire its design and to learn where all the ports are when... I noticed there is no Windows 8 Product Key sticker. This is also the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (from what I've seen). In the past, every Dell computer with Windows 7 or older has shipped with a Product Key sticker attached somewhere. Desktops normally had it on top of the case and laptops had it either under the battery or simply on the bottom of the laptop.

After calling Dell customer service, the rep informed me the product key is embedded in the motherboard. Dell no longer includes a sticker with the product key. I mentioned how it was odd since there is a square area above the service tag label which appears to be specifically for the product key sticker. Again, the rep assured me that if I ever had to reinstall Windows, the installation would automatically pull the key from the motherboard. The rep was very kind and helpful, no issues there.

There are probably programs out there to grab the Windows 8 product key so I can physically write it down. Because of this I'm sure I can get the key myself. My two questions are:

1.) Can anyone else confirm if Dell is 100% not including product key stickers on their new computers?

2.) Has anyone successfully reinstalled Windows 8 with using the "product key from motherboard" method?

Thank you for your time,
Sol Knightt

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 11:00

You can use the free Belarc Advisor to see the product key for Windows and all your other installed software etc. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 21:00

Sol Knightt

Yep, Dell's Techies are right, the product is in the BIOS, my new Dell Laptop is the same as your XPS 8700 and has no product key label for the Win 8 operating system.

Bev.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2013 22:00

Our XPS 8700 was delivered 10-22-13, and like yours, had no Win 8.1 product key sticker. However, as we began to download updates, etc., we found multiple instances of malware, adware, viruses, and Trojans. We spent the better part of the entire day and most of the evening tracing and uninstalling malware, learning how to eliminate the Trojans, and deleting viruses and the adware they rode in on. Keep in mind that this unit was supposed to be brand spanking new, a replacement for another brand spanking new XPS 8700 that was delivered with sound card (sound blaster) issues that couldn't be reconciled with a second sound blaster sound card. Have you come across any of these issues while installing your new XPS 8700? Thanks, AudioElements

October 23rd, 2013 09:00

Bev and AudioElements,

Thank you both for your replies which answered my first question.

@AudioElements: I have not had the opportunity to set up my new 8700 yet. Some backups from the old Dimension E520 it's replacing had to be taken first. When I do set it up I'll definitely let you know if I find any viruses, malware, or the like. May I ask how you found it on your machine? Did you scan with Windows Defender or a 3rd party program?

Thanks,
Sol Knightt

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 10:00

Sol Knightt

You are welcome.

I have not found any virus/malware in my two week old laptop, but I did dump MaAfee and install Malwarebytes and MS Windows Defender in it's place and performed full scans.

But, I do miss not having the product key on the label.  :emotion-6:

Bev.

October 26th, 2013 14:00

Ron, thanks for the utility info.

AudioElements: After setting up my PC and running a McAfee scan, I did not find any malware or viruses. Have you contacted Dell about your situation? I personally have never heard of that happening. =/

Off topic, just a heads up for anyone with an expired "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" key... Don't try using it. I had one from the promotion Microsoft had when Windows 8 Pro was released and thought it would be worth a try to use it. It was an absolute headache to undo it. The key did not activate properly after the first reboot. Trying to activate with my OEM and Pro keys did not work either, nor did trying to buy a new key via Windows. A Dell tech was kind enough to show me how to restore to factory settings as well as connect me with a Microsoft rep. The rep said the Media Center key was blocked and proceeded to connect me to the activation department. However, I later found out that department was closed for the day. I decided to use the factory restore method the Dell tech showed me. It worked great for the most part. Now I'm up and running with my Pro key. Probably not going to try obtaining the Media Center feature for a loooooong time.

Hope that helps!
-Sol Knightt

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 26th, 2013 19:00

Audioelements -if this was a replacement system, chances are it was a refurbished unit because that's what their warranty allows. So it's possible that they neglected to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install, or at least reset it to the factory image. If you're still concerned, use the Windows built-in feature to reset to factory image and start over. Be sure to back up all your files on external media first because everything will be lost if you reset to factory image. And then you'll have to install all Microsoft updates and any other software you need.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 1st, 2014 20:00

I have a related problem. I have a Inspiron 3847 running Windows 8.1. I have ran Belarc and it shows the BIOS Product Key. However when I try to add windows components from the control panel it will not accept that product key???

1 Message

January 22nd, 2015 09:00

I see all the posts about this, but nothing recent, especially with the 8.1 update. Has anyone been able to get the update without the product key? i realized the update installed, but then to be able to "add features Windows 8.1" it is asking for a product key. I called Dell and they said I should not need it b/c of the key being built into the BIOS, blabbity blah, but Windows won't let me install these features without it. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks!!!

February 7th, 2015 20:00

I see all the posts about this, but nothing recent, especially with the 8.1 update. Has anyone been able to get the update without the product key? i realized the update installed, but then to be able to "add features Windows 8.1" it is asking for a product key. I called Dell and they said I should not need it b/c of the key being built into the BIOS, blabbity blah, but Windows won't let me install these features without it. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks!!!

EVADIIVA,

I was able to get the 8.1 update without any issues. It might be worth noting that I upgraded my XPS 8700 to Windows 8 Pro after restoring my computer (mentioned earlier in this thread). That may have made a difference when the 8.1 update became available for download. You shouldn't have to upgrade to Pro like I did.

If you need your key so you can re-enter it, download Speccy and look for the "serial number" on the Operating System section. http://www.piriform.com/speccy If Windows doesn't accept the key you enter I would think Dell has some knowledge on dealing with the issue. Let us know what happens.

-Sol Knightt

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 8th, 2015 08:00

If the system came with 8.1 or 8.0 you should not need a key. Also keep in mind that ONLY the 64 bit version of windows or UBUNTU 12.04.5 will work for a system with 8.X key in BIOS.  Use a 16 gig or larger USB Flash drive to make a bootable 8.1 media.  That way you can download the drivers from your system onto it or from another working machine get the critical chipset and network drivers onto your system.  DBAR also needs 16 gig or larger media.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

There will not be any COA sticker only a windows 8 Home or windows 8 PRO color shifting label.   You cannot use PRO pack or MCE key to install clean. This was never an option.

You can clean install 8.1 using a generic key and later change that to your 8.0 key after installation.

The Generic Key CANNOT EVER BE USED to activate.

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB (Windows 8.1 Pro)

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT (Windows 8.1 Home)

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy. (OEM System Builder Versions Do Still have COA Stickers)Along with area all over the label saying this is not a COA Rofl.

Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Genuine Microsoft Labels

You could try Belarc Advisor.

I don't know if this shows the key or not. (Versions Higher than 8.3c do Show the Key)

Version 8.4 supports Windows 8.1

• Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 8.1, 2012 R2, 8, 2012, 7, 2008 R2, Vista, 2008, 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4, Me, 98, and 95. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows are supported.
  • Browsers: Runs on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and many others.

However as you change versions by adding soft packs you should save the previous keys as they are removed and replaced with the PRO and MCE packs.  But windows will not clean install with an update pack so you need the original key in order to Install clean then do windows anytime upgrades back to PRO or MCE editions.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2015 09:00

I have a related problem. I have a Inspiron 3847 running Windows 8.1. I have ran Belarc and it shows the BIOS Product Key. However when I try to add windows components from the control panel it will not accept that product key???

The key belarc shows is the base key.  Its not for adding MCE

No Events found!