Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2016 02:00

New XPS 8900, Restarting by itself

Hello,

I just purchased a new XPS 8900 desktop delivered on 5/25/2016 and is restarting itself.  No new hardware installed or program except World of Warcraft and Ventrilo.   Just really started using this machine late last week since I was really busy after it arrived. 

I research the web and it said it maybe PSU related issue.  It is under warranty but any idea why a new computer is restarting it self?

Thank you.

Susan

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 10th, 2016 12:00

Windows 10?

There are many possible reasons, both hardware and software: PSU, RAM or hard drive problem, overheating, corrupted OS or other software... 

Does it just restart? Any errors on the screen? You can look in Windows Event Viewer for errors around the time of a crash that might point you in the right direction.

If you bought it directly from Dell, I believe you have 21 days from invoice date (not delivery date) to return it so contact Dell Tech Support ASAP. 

If you got it from a big box store, you can probably return/exchange it under whatever policy they have. So get going. :emotion-5:

Either way, be sure to reset Windows to the factory image before you return it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 11th, 2016 08:00

I agree it is important to keep an eye on the Warranty time limit.  Since you may need to call them in order to return it you might do that now.  They will probably take control of the system and run some checks which you might even do with the Diagnostics utility.

Any external Devices attached?

The restarts may be tied to automatic updates.  I like to do manual check for updates so I can see when the system needs to be rebooted.  Especially during the first few days of use you can help that process along by doing the manual updates.

Having some info as to the type of restarts will be important to anyone who tries to troubleshoot.  As was mentioned there are places you can look to give you a clue and if it happened to be an actual BSOD event you may need to reset your system to log the files to be analyzed.

How long did you run the system before you installed the software you mention?  Have you checked for updates for that software?  If you are thinking about returning it, if you have time, you might go ahead and reset the system back to factory and run it a couple of days to see if it continues. 

Edit:  If you were to be getting a Blue Screen restart you can set you system so it just shuts down and does not restart.  Doing so you let you know if it was or was not a Blue Screen situation.

Open the System from the start button right click menu.  Select the Advanced System Settings and go to the Advanced Tab and Startup and Recovery.  Uncheck the Automatically restart option.  You could also reset the Dump file type to the small memory dump but Dell may have their preferences.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2016 18:00

Dell technical support is assisting.  Yesterday and again this morning regarding auto restart.  He found 0xC0000188 and 0xC0000035 error codes.  My computer has not auto restart so far and hoping it will not.  

Thank you for responding.

Susan

No Events found!