Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2016 16:00

New graphics card for Dimension 9200

Hello

My ageing Dimension 9200 is giving me 2 beeps when i turn it on and not outputting anything to the monitor. My understanding is this means that the graphics card needs replacing, am I right in thinking that?

Can anyone recommend one to me as a replacement, ideally available on amazon.co.uk or maybe ebay UK. I do some photo editing, but no gaming. Inexpensive as well if possible as I think I will probably upgrade to a new pc soon

Thanks for any help!

August 20th, 2016 09:00

Just to update on what happened with this, you were right about the beeps not being the video card. I installed the new graphics card and that brought the display back straight away, but showed BIOS problems with the boot order which must have started when I took the battery out, easily fixed when I could see what was happening on the screen. Anyway to confirm the nvidia GT630 1GB works fine but seems slow, it will do as a temporary fix.

Thanks again for your help!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 25th, 2016 10:00

2 beeps is something like cmos error or other issue.   One Long beep and 2 short beeps is bad video card.

I would recommend EVGA GT730 04G-P3-2739-KR 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487216

July 26th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for your reply! I had actually already ordered a new card by the time I got it, aNvidia GT630 1GB which I read was compatible on another forum. So I'm waiting for that to arrive, but I appreciate your suggestion that this may not be the issue. Looking at it again, I noticed that lights 1,2 and 3 are also lit along with the two beeps. Other forums have suggested unplugging the hard drives, replacing the motherboard battery and taking out all the ram sticks and trying each one in each slot in turn. I've tried all those but with no results. Would there be anything else you'd suggest to troubleshoot this, or do you think I just wait and try the new video card now?

No Events found!