Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2014 04:00

New graphics for XPS8500

I ran the PC doctor on this site and selected game dynamics or what it's called. I'm running a very extensive and demanding program for the graphics card and knew that would be where my comp would take a dive. I have a Radeon HD 7870, so it should be fine, but it's still only listed among fellow gamers as "ok". 

My problem started with my comp getting warm and the fan keeps going. Lately my screen has had a pinkish frame when I quit the game. Now today it had nothing but green vertical lines all of a sudden.

I tested the PC doctor as I said, and on the third test about shader rendering the gaming spaceship vanished and I had grey vertical lines. After looking at those for a bit I decided to restart the comp. I don't know if I should have let the test run it's cause. 

Anyways I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, and I should probably think about what to replace it with. I bought this comp hoping to learn how to upgrade myself instead of buying something new every time. I have like 5 computers here from 20-30 years back. I have tried replacing RAM on an old one, and killed the graphics card in the process. So I should know what it takes this time. 

I don't know what I can replace it with, I need some help finding the right card and perhaps I need new fans to go with it. Help appreciated :)

7 Posts

May 29th, 2014 07:00

Now it's gone already, so I can't bring you any more info either. Is my only option to call a mechanic?

1.5K Posts

May 29th, 2014 12:00

The HD 7870 is a high-end video card and a very good gaming card.  If you really want to upgrade from this, you would have to spend quite a bit of money to make it worthwhile.  The XPS 8500 is not going to have the best air flow in the case.  You can try removing the side panel when gaming to see how that works.  Also, make sure the card is free of any dust accumulation that would make it overheat.  You can connect to your onboard graphics and run that as a test to see if everything is working okay.  You just cannot expect to do any gaming with the onboard.  Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the most recent AMD driver too.  

I would not replace the card unless you definitely know it's toast for some reason.  You can't expect to game for hours on end and not possibly run into overheating issues and the higher you turn up the graphics the more heat you're going to produce.  A true gaming case is much larger and has multiple intake and exhaust fans running keeping components as cool as possible. You have just one small exhaust fan.  

7 Posts

May 29th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for the help. I can put some money into this, but not a lot. I see the 7870 is still available, so I could just replace it I guess. A new card needs to fit inside the case I have already though. 

How do I get info for a new search when I only have vertical lines on the logon screen at the moment? I can't even log on. 

1.5K Posts

May 29th, 2014 22:00

Try pulling the card out and connecting to your onboard graphics and then uninstall the AMD driver if you can logon.  Download the most recent driver from AMD's website, put the card back in and install the driver to see if that fixes anything.  Also, reseat your memory modules while you're at it. 

7 Posts

May 30th, 2014 00:00

Onboard graphics? You mean on the motherboard, I have other comps if I don't need it. 

I have been sleeping on this. I did carefully clean out some dust when it struggled, didn't help much. If I just buy a new 7870 I should know it works, but what about the fan then, should I invest in one extra? Is that as difficult as finding a new graphics card? or is it just a few to choose from. 

Reseat my memory modules, ok? Just the ram you mean I can do that.

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 04:00

Now I have taken the graphics card out, but how do I connect to the monitor? I used a hdmi cable , but it's sitting on the graphics card now. Should I have removed the big chip thing from the card too?

Edit: just me being silly. I suddenly thought the cable needed to go into the back of the card. I'm up on my stationary now, and it's working perfectly without a graphics card, thanks. Now I need to figure out what info to collect. I just need another cup of coffee first :)

I have managed to remove the graphics card YESS! :emotion-49:

7 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 04:00

I got the comp working very nicely on the motherboard chip. I have a HU460AD-01, 50-60hz, 8A, output power 460w powersupply. Intel Core i7-3770 cpu 3,40 ghz. 12 GB ram. Anything more you need? 

If I still want to upgrade the graphics card, what options do I have? 

31 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 06:00

I've just put in a AMD R9 270 in my XPS 8500 - pretty much an updated 7870 but with only one power connector (so runs cooler) - no complaints and is pretty silent even in Bf4. If you want a bit more power the R9 270X can be got for a little bit more.

7 Posts

June 5th, 2014 09:00

Someone else I have been talking to suggested: 

I think a GTX 750 Ti would work well for you. It's relatively low powered but is powerful enough to run TS3 on highest settings.

This version of the GTX 750 Ti is the one I would personally get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125511&cm_re=GTX_750_Ti-_-14-125-511-_-Product. I like the cooler it comes with.

I may have forgotten to mention: 

Intel Core i7-3770 cpu 3,40 ghz. 12 GB ram. psu  HU460AD-01

1.5K Posts

June 5th, 2014 14:00

The GTX 750 Ti would be fine.  Honestly, the card runs so cool anyway with the new Maxwell chip that the dual fan cards are overkill.  I have the dual fan EVGA GTX 750 Ti.  In the winter months it is only 21C and the summer months 26C at idle.  The Gigabyte card does require an additional 6 pin connector most likely due to its high factory overclock.  I also like the MSI gaming one HERE.  It does not require the 6 pin.  Either one looks good.  

No Events found!