Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2014 18:00

New hard drive question

I just installed a western digital 160 GB HD. When I turn on the computer it says Drive 1 not found: serial ATA, SATA-2. Underneath that it says Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. When I hit F1 nothing happens. F2 is only information about my computer and then I'm back on the same screen. I can't do nothing. I ran a diagnostics on my HD and it passed. I'm stuck, what can I do. I do have a copy of windows xp. I tried installing that and it says it is not a valid copy, but I know it is. I'm stuck, any suggestions? Thank you.

1 Message

August 25th, 2014 01:00

Hey, dentalbook!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are facing.
This error may mean that some component is failing. Have you tried booting in SAFE MODE?
I'd also suggest to try the HDD on another system just to make sure it's not causing the problem. If the HDD is recognized and Windows detects it, then you may be encountering some problem with the motherboard.
Another thing you can try is resetting the BIOS settings to default.
Usually if you get this message, pressing F2 should work and you'd no longer get it. However, if it persists then it's possible that you have a dead BIOS battery that needs to be changed.

I hope you find this helpful.

SuperSoph_WD

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2014 21:00

Hi dentalbook,

It seems like the hard drive is not getting recognized in the system. Please remove and reseat the hard drive and check in the BIOS if the hard drive is recognized or not. Please private message us the system service tag so that I can check and assist you. To send a private message, click on my name and send private message.

10 Posts

August 24th, 2014 10:00

My service tag is Service tag removed per privacy policy>. The F2 setup utility recognizes my new drive. I'm still not getting anywhere. Also the new hard drive is in drive 0, sata 0 if that helps. Does anyone have any input? Thank you so much.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 24th, 2014 14:00

Hi Dentalbook,

Please provide the model of your Dell desktop. Are you planning to install the operating system onto this new hard drive?

10 Posts

August 24th, 2014 19:00

It is a Dell Dimension 5100. Yes, I am planning on installing a valid copy of windows xp that I have.

10 Posts

August 25th, 2014 14:00

The the little disc battery was the problem. Thank you so much! I just turned off drive 1 in the F2 setup utilty and the error stopped coming on startup.

No Events found!