Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2009 08:00

Newest NVidia drivers (179.24) on D830 with Vista64

Has anyone noticed, that after installing newest drivers (179.24) on Vista64 color depth is reduced to 16 bits and you cannot change it? I've got WUXGA display, 4GB of RAM and NVS 140M. BIOS is updated to A14.

Dell Support told me that this can be caused by some other software on my machine, but my colleage is having the same problem on his D830, and i've also found thread similar problem somewhere on the internet. I've uninstalled older drivers and even tried to install 179.29 with modified inf with no luck. I'd say that BIOS is causing this, maybe not enough RAM is reserved and new memory management implementation is used, and if more users experienced same problem Dell can fix it :)

7 Posts

February 11th, 2009 07:00

Maybe slashdot can help.  I've already digged it, as this is known to be quick and easy way to get some answers from big companies... ;)

3 Posts

February 25th, 2009 16:00

It looks like Microsoft just released a new version of the NVidia driver for Windows 7 on Windows Update. The new driver, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (Prerelease - WDDM 1.1), is version 179.43. It is usually listed under the optional updates in Windows Update.

I installed it today and so far it is working well. I was actually able to undock without dropping to 16bit color.

-mike

4 Posts

February 27th, 2009 05:00

Cool... stinks its for Windows 7 only.

NVIDIA has also released a new driver on Feb 11th... however, it doesn't cover Dell Laptops! I spoke to Dell about this issue yesterday and basically said they are not going to fix this issue because there are not enough tickets or compliants from customers.

So everyone who can, Submitt a support ticket and reference this fourm.

4 Posts

March 4th, 2009 12:00

Hey Guys...

I have figured out how to get this to work correctly... Using the dell driver from the dell website... go to the nvidia control pannel and go to "Manage Customer Resolution"

Create a new resolution... enter in a refresh rate of 59... 60 won't work, and 75 is laggy. Then of course enter in 32 bits. It will test sucessfully and then you will be able to select the correct color depth in the windows settings.

Let me know if you have any questions.

7 Posts

March 6th, 2009 04:00

Well.. I cannot set this resolution anywhere :( I can add it to the custom resolutions list, but that's all. It's not visible in avaiable resolutions... Any more tweaks? ;)

Edit: Seems that it works if i create custom resolution first and then install 179.24 driver... Or installing the driver through windows update. I'm not sure exactly which helped but it's working now... Strange :)

7 Posts

March 6th, 2009 04:00

Well.. I cannot set this resolution anywhere :( I can add it to the custom resolutions list, but that's all. It's not visible in avaiable resolutions... Any more tweaks? ;)

1 Message

March 31st, 2010 01:00

Interesting thing happened to me.  I installed Windows 7 X64 on my D830 and I proceeded to update the video driver with a Nvidia driver I downloaded from Dell's Vista 64 driver site.  Thinking that this would fix my resolution I went to change my resolution and the best I could get  was 1024 X 768.  I was so upset.  I followed the link below in a different thread for a newer Nvidia driver.  I proceeded to go to the Device Manager to uninstall not rollback the Nvidia driver.  The screen went black and I thought I was in trouble.  I proceeded to wait approximately 15 min thinking the system was still uninstalling and searching for a new driver.  Finally I forced a shutdown of the system.  When I rebooted directly into windows, no Safe Mode,  I thought I'd check to see if the Nvidia was still installed.  I decided to check and see if I could change resolution and to my surprise I was able to go to 1920 X 1200!!!

Display now reads Generic Non PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics adapter. 

The Adapter States that it is a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, Chip Type NVIDIA, DAC Type 8 Bit, Adapter  String  VGA

I'm really pleased that I stumbled on to this.  I hope it helps you. 

Windows 7 X64, 4GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M Graphics Video Card w/256MB DDR2 VRAM, SMBIOS 2.4

No Events found!