Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2011 08:00

'No Audio Device' on OptiPlex GX270

Computer Info: OptiPlex GX270 - Windows XP Professional SP3

I have been having issues with the sound on this computer. It was working fine and then just quit. I checked in Device Manager and it showed there was a problem with the 'Other Device: Multimedia Audio Controller'. I tried updating the driver and received the following message: "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". I then went to dell.com and searched support for it and was instructed to install 'Analog Devices 198x Integrated Audio Driver'. The installation completed and the computer restarted. There was still no sound. So I checked Device Manager again and it no longer showed the 'Other Devices' section. Under the 'Sound, Video, & Game Controllers' section it lists 'SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio'. Device Manager does not show any problems with anything. So I went into the Control Panel and went to 'Sound' and it stated that there was 'No Audio Device'. I also printed a Belarc Analysis both before and after I downloaded the driver. On the Belarc Analysis before the download it showed the 'Mutimedia Audio Controller' under the 'Multimedia' Section. After the download it had removed the 'Multimedia Audio Controller' and added the 'SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio'.

So now I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 25th, 2011 12:00

The SoundMax is the correct driver.  In the control panel does it give you an option to select the SoundMax as the device?  It may show none is is selected but you should be able to select the SoundMax (Analog Devices) for the various sound functions. 

If it still will not work, download and reinstall the Intel motherboard chipset drivers on the downloads  HERE  The chipset drivers define all the devices on the motherboard and on a new install the chipset drivers must be installed before installing the sound drivers.

No Events found!