Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2010 09:00

No Audio Device

Well, I give up. Dell make it absolutely impossible to contact them by e-mail to ask a support question. So, can anyone out there offer any advice?

My problem with no sound has now been going on for 3 months. I have tried everything I can think of and trawled through endless Websites reading accounts of other people's similar problems. 

I have a Dell Dimension 1100 pc. Recently (well, not so recently now), I had to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows XP. My audio options show as 'no audio device'. The speakers work fine when tried on another computer. Nothing has been touched or moved or disconnected inside the computer. I know sound cards can be sensitive but does this pc have a sound card and if so where is it? It's not obvious at all when looking inside. The sound worked perfectly prior to re-installing the operating system. I've tried all the usual stuff in Device Manager to no avail!

I would be very grateful for some help please.

Thank you.

Gerald Newman

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 20th, 2010 09:00

HERE is the Dell driver downloads for the 1100 and Windows XP.

I suspect when you reinstalled you skipped the Intel chipset drivers and that is the problem.  On an install or reinstall the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers including the Dell Sound Drivers, Video, ethernet, etc.

The chipset drivers are key to a successful install and define the devices on the motherboard.  The chipset drivers MUST be installed BEFORE installling the sound drivers.  If you skipped the chipset drivers, install them, restart the PC and then install the Dell sound drivers.  This usually takes care of the sound problems, however in a few isolated cases it will take a new and correct sequence install.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 20th, 2010 11:00

Don't forget the Notebook System Software that has to be installed first with the chipset. Available HERE.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 20th, 2010 12:00

This is a Desktop, not a Laptop.  There is Desktop System Software listed in the Dell Downloads.  But, as it's already been reinstalled, just the chipset and sound drivers should be all that is needed.  The Desktop or Laptop System Software is not a requirement for a successful reinstall.

March 22nd, 2010 15:00

Hello,

Thank you for your advice. However, my next problem seems to be downloading the Chipset  / Audio drivers. It doesn't make sense to me. Despite being connected to the Internet, I get a warning box saying -

"Internet Connection not detected, please check your settings and try again"

This is from the Dell Driver Download Manager, which I do remember being told by someone, can give problems.....very strange....Any suggestions?

Gerald

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 15:00

DO NOT use the Dell download manager.  If you installed it, uninstall it and any related cookies.  Just download by clicking on the Blue download button.

March 27th, 2010 09:00

That all sounds very logical, but if I delete the Dell Download Manager and then attempt to download the chipset drivers by clicking on the blue download button, I'm asked whether i want to install the Dell Download Manager again? if I click on 'do not install' nothing happens and I'm back to square one! 

Gerald.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 28th, 2010 04:00

When I click on the Blue Download button I do not get that, just the standard Microsoft download window that allows downloading to my hard drive. 

One of our members posted a way to eliminate the download manager - you have to uninstall it from the PC and also any cookies that reference the download manager, then restart the PC and that is supposed to work to eliminate it.  According to other posts from users that works.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 28th, 2010 04:00

Update, I found this doing a google search for how to delete the Dell download manager.  It's basically what I said about the cookies.

Click Me

April 10th, 2010 05:00

I have sound now......yippee!!!!!

Thanks for all your help,

Gerald

6 Posts

April 17th, 2010 22:00

Every computer comes with a built-in sound card. Enable audio in bios.

Install the right driver and see if you can see the device in device manager.

Good luck.

Tech from

http://www.computerstar.ca/

No Events found!