Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2008 23:00

No Internet Connection after fresh Reinstall of XP Home

The question is regarding Drivers. 

I have just finished a clean reinstall of Windows XP Home on a Dimension 8400 desktop.  Almost everything works fine except NO INTERNET CONNECTION (FYI – I am on a broadband – cable connection and have IE 7 installed) and unfortunately, cannot locate the Resource CD that contained the drivers for the 8400.  

When I bring up the Device Manager, there is a yellow “?” in front of each of the  Ethernet Controller; Multimedia Audio Controller; PCI Modem; Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible).  When I  “Right Click > Properties”  on each, the message is the same – the Device type; Manufacturer; Driver type and date are “Unknown”

My service tag brings up the original configuration which has not changed but gives no obvious information that tells me what the hardware is eg.  Mfg of Ethernet Controller, etc.  I can’t use the System Configuration Tool as I need an Internet connection - the original problem.

The most pressing question is how to resolve the Ethernet Controller issue now showing Driver Date and Version as “Not available” and Manufacturer “Unknown”  (the only info that is known is that the Location is PCI bus2.  If I can finally connect to the Internet, I think the problems will be resolved. 

Other more general questions are:

1.  How do I identify which driver to download/install when there is more than one choice?

2.  What do I look for in my original configuration as the key to selecting the correct Drivers?  All my original order gives is a partial, cryptic description - a random example being F3988 Card (Circuit)..., Graphics..., 128, X300, Server Enhanced..., MRMGA8.  When you bring up the list of drivers, nothing seems to fit. 

3.  In general, if I select an incorrect Driver, would it install and take things from bad to worse or simply not install?

If anyone can offer suggestions, I would appreciate it. 

Thanks

182 Posts

February 9th, 2008 23:00

It will be the broadcom or intell driver.  You will need the desktop system software chippset driver, and video driver and NIC driver, audio and modem driver.

51 Posts

February 10th, 2008 00:00

Hello,

A similar question was just answered yesterday for another Dimension 8400 owner.

See here: 

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&thread.id=351907

Specific:  I'm almost certain you have the 57XX Broadcom Gigabit Integrated Ethernet Controller (same as my 8400).  If that is your immediate concern, you can download the driver directly from here to get you started:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R87461&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=6197&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=114367

NJGroundHog

Message Edited by NJGroundHog on 02-09-2008 09:27 PM

453 Posts

February 10th, 2008 16:00

If you can't find your resource CD you can get get the drivers from support.dell.com just do it on a friend's computer with internet access or put your Cable modem into USB mode if it has it by installing the drivers that came on the CD supplied with it.  Once you have all your drivers just burna CD/DVD label it Dell 8400 drivers or something smilar and keep it in a safe place so you'll know where it is if you need it.  Hope this helps you. 

5 Posts

February 12th, 2008 04:00

Thanks.  It was the Broadcom Ethernet Controller that was installed.  I still couldn't figure out which one I had with the sparse information given on my configuration, so I just held my breath and picked that one.  Good guess!  Once installed, everything went smoothly.

Thanks again! 

No Events found!