Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2008 09:00

No Power - Dimension 4600

I have a Dimension 4600.  We had a storm and my PC was in a surge protector but the next morning it would not power on.  I assumed that the power supply might be bad and replaced the power supply.  However, it still does not power on.  I do have a solid green light appearing on the mother board.  Please help.  Thanks!

4.4K Posts

April 26th, 2008 10:00

Turn all the way off and then attempt to restart.  On the backpanel are 4 diagnostic LED's.  Watch these and compare the green/yellow colors to the following chart for assistance with diagnosing this problem.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/adtshoot.htm#1112886

4 Posts

April 26th, 2008 14:00

I plugged it in and none of the back diagnostic lights lit up.  The power supply is new and there is a steady green light on the board.  Is there a fuse perhaps or what other things could it be?  The chart provided does not address problems if all are not lit. 

THanks!

4.4K Posts

April 26th, 2008 15:00

Not sure about a fuse frankly.  When you attempt to power up does anything happen at all?  Fans or hard drive spin?  Or dead as a doornail.  I presume you're pushing the power button in the center of the frontpanel, right?  (Sorry if that's a duh question.)  One time I helped a forum member for days only to find out they didn't know how to turn on the computer, which was normally left on full time.

4 Posts

April 26th, 2008 15:00

Since my last mesasge, I unplugged all of the power supply connections, except for the two connected to the motherboard.  I saw that somewhere in one of the forum messages.  The only thing that occurs is that the green light on the board comes on.  No sounds or other indication that something is occuring.  I do not get any lights on the diagnostic indicator light.  I did replace the switch as well (and I did turn it on that way as well).

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 26th, 2008 19:00

19holes

As you have a 'know' working power supply, try removing the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, then check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on and see if you get any beep codes or diagnostic lights on the back panel.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

4 Posts

April 26th, 2008 21:00

Okay...I did everything you suggested and I still get nothing, except for a green light on the motherboard.  None of the diagnostic lights came on.  Just for kicks and giggles, I plugged in the old PSU and ironically the same result - only a green light on the motherboard and nothing else.  Any other possible suggestions or ideas on what it might be?

Thanks!!!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 27th, 2008 00:00

19holes

As there are no beep codes or diagnostic lights on the back panel, it would appear that motherboard has died.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!