Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2016 16:00

No Quad Core

Hey Everybody.  I installed my new Core 2 Quad Q6700 in my XPS 410 today.  It works, but there's no difference.  I went into the performance tab of task manager and it says my processor only has two cores when it should have four.  Is there a setting I need to change, either BIOS or drivers, or anything, or what's happening here? any suggestions?

17 Posts

April 10th, 2016 14:00

Hey guys, just figured out a solution to my problem by accident while poking around in my system drivers and settings.  I will post what I did to figure it out, just in case anybody else has this problem.  Theoretically, this should work with any computer upgrading from dual core to quad core.

1. Open Device Management by pressing WinKey+R and typing devmgmt.msc.  Once you are there, click on "Processors" and verify that there are two drivers listed for you processor (one for each core)

2. Shut down or restart your computer

3. Access the BIOS settings (Usually by pressing F2)

4. Go to the "Performance" tab or wherever the CPU settings are

5. Disable multiple CPU core

6. Save/exit BIOS and boot Windows

7. Access Device Management and click on "Processors"

8. There should still be two drivers listed for your processor.  Uninstall one of them by right-clicking on it and clicking "Uninstall"

9. There will be a dialog box asking if you want to restart.  Click "Yes" or "Restart"

10. DO NOT let Windows boot.  Access the BIOS settings before Windows boots and enable multiple CPU cores.

It should recognize the four cores by this point and the remaining three drivers should install.  If it doesn't, sorry, but I don't know what to tell you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 9th, 2016 18:00

See:

< >

you have have to make some changes to the system.

17 Posts

April 9th, 2016 22:00

Thanks for your help.  I looked in to it, but my system is running Windows 10, plus I don't really want to have to pay for it, just a-sayin.  Any other suggestions?

No Events found!