Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2017 02:00

No audio starting Feb 23, 2017 on Dell Optiplex 780 desktop computer (small form factor) with Windows 10

Prior to Feb 23, 2017, there was sound through internal speakers and also when I plug in external speakers.

Starting Feb 23, 2017, there is no sound with Dell Optiplex 780 desktop computer (small form factor) with Windows 10

ie no system sounds

ie when I use vlc media player, no sound

When I use Windows Media Player, it says "encountered a problem while playing the file."

When I use vlc player, it opens the audio file, advances the time elapsed, but the speakers are silent

I updated Windows.

I ran Windows diagnostics.

Windows diagnostics detected conflict with sound card enhancements, so I disabled them, then rebooted.

I uninstalled the only recent Windows update, which was Feb. 21 windows update of Adobe Flash player.  I re-booted.

I ran AVG anti-virus and Malwarebytes.

I am trying to run on dell.com the online diagnosis, but it is stuck.

dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/product-support/product/optiplex-780/diagnose

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/product-support/product/optiplex-780/diagnose

I downloaded Dell System Detect and installed it.  It is running, and appears in the system tray.

The I selected a sound card test.

However, the process is stuck at step 2. Install System Detect

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 27th, 2017 12:00

You have malware.  Time to reinstall from scratch.

3 Posts

February 27th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for you suggestion, but I think I do not have malware because before I submitted my posting, I already ran malwarebytes and AVG antivirus.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 28th, 2017 06:00

Dell systems that are not  supported in windows 10 will require VISTA WDDM 1.0 drivers and require Directx June 2010 patch as well as DOTNET 3.5 as well as chipset drivers.

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition seems to break Sound drivers.

CHIPSET and DOTNET 3.5 will also have to be RE-INSTALLED

Description Download
Intel ME5 Host Embedded Controller Interface Driver
This package provides the Intel ME5 Host Embedded Controller Interface Driver and is supported on OptiPlex 760/980/755/780/960/780USFF that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
Intel Serial Over LAN/Local Management Service Driver
This package provides the Intel Serial Over LAN/Local Management Service Driver and is supported on OptiPlex 760/980/755/780/780USFF/960 that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
This package provides the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility and is supported on Latitude, Optiplex and Precision models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista and Windows 7.More details
Intel AMT SOL/LMS Driver
This package provides the Intel AMT SOL/LMS Driver and is supported on Optiplex 760/780/960 that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista and Windows 7.More details

Description Download
Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio, v.6.10.2.7280, A11
This package provides the Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio Driver and is supported on Optiplex 780 that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7/Vista 64-bit.More details
Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio, v.6.10.1.7280, A11
Analog Devices HD Audio driverMore details

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

There are ZERO issues AFAIKT with any onboard dell sound devices but you have to install DOTNET and DIRECTX 9 and 10 via the Directx June 2010 update and sometimes install in compatability mode for VISTA as administrator.

There is also the issue that you need 64 bit drivers if you are using 64bit windows 10.   Without knowing Chipset and Model etc there is no help for this.   Dell does not support windows 10 on many machines but windows 10 works fine on many machines going back to 2006.   Earlier than 2005 tends to not work because the windows 8.1  NX and other required instructions do not exist in earlier pentium 4 chips and are non existant in pentium 3 and 2 etc.

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Kills Sound drivers.

You can fix the Windows 10 Anniversary Update no sound issue by downloading and Re installing OEM audio drivers.

Before you Reinstall the OEM audio driver , you have to uninstall the existing driver, Please follow the steps below to remove the existing audio drivers:

1.) In Windows, search for and open "Device Manager".

2.) Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers".

3.) right-click the sound device and select "Uninstall"

Once the old sound driver has been removed, you can reinstall the Audio driver.

EVEN WINDOWS 7 needs this.

Install the Directx June 2010 update then the appropriate WHQL drivers for NVIDIA or ATI video card if its a Legacy version.  Older cards will not be able to use the made last week drivers they will REQUIRE Legacy Drivers.

BEFORE installing this driver.  You also have to add the feature back for Legacy Direct Show from control Panel.  If you do all the right things in the right order it will work.  Control Panel, All Control Panel Items,  Programs and Features, Turn windows features on and Off,

Then do the check boxes.  You MUST BE online when you do this because it will whine about not finding the features and needing to download them from windows update.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2017 06:00

The sound  now works, though I didn't do anything.

Last night, my PC hung.  The keyboard and the mouse did not work.

When I pressed the on/off button and let go, the PC would not shut off.

So I unplugged the PC.

Then I plugged in the PC.  As it was booting up, I heard the beep sound associated with booting.

After it booted up, I tried playing a mp4 file in vlc media player and it worked.

I tried playing a mp3 file with Windows Media player. It seemed to hang, so I used Task Manager to kill the process.

Then again I tried playing a mp3 file with Windows Media Player.  It worked.

I also hear sound when I plug in external speakers.

I checked the Windows Update log to see of Windows had been updated from the time I had the problem to when I no longer had the problem.  It had not been updated.

No Events found!