Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2015 21:00

No boot device available problem Windows 8.1 XPS 8500

I was trying to install a new graphics card to my desktop tower, since it was pretty large I had removed some cables to SATA 0 and 1 to try and fit it in. The card was too big for my PC and i switched it out with my old graphics card. I put both SATA cables in and when i turned on my computer i got the boot prompt:

No boot device available

Strike the F1 key to retry boot, F2 to run the setup utility

SATA 0: Installed

SATA 1: Installed

SATA 2: None

SATA 3: None

MSATA 1: None

I tried resetting the BIOS to default and rebooting, and nothing. Any help is appreciated thank you.

331 Posts

September 5th, 2015 05:00

Hi Jayrocks70,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Please go to the BIOS page BOOT> 1st Boot Device and select the first hard disk and save the settings. If the same error comes up, then go back to the BIOS page and select the second hard disk in the list. If the issue remains please disconnect both the hard drive cables, then connect the hard drive cable which has the OS installed. You may also try with the different slot on the motherboard. Probably the first boot device selected or connected might not have the OS installed and you’re getting the error message.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

September 5th, 2015 11:00

ya the 1st boot device had the internal HDD, but i changed to legacy mode and put the internal HDD in 1st boot drive and the cdrom drive in 2nd boot device. Saved it and rebooted and it seemed to work thanks for a quick repsonse.

331 Posts

September 5th, 2015 11:00

You’re welcome :) Great to hear everything is working fine now. 

1 Message

November 12th, 2015 09:00

Hi Infant R.  I am having the same problem but I don't know how to perform the legacy change as mentioned.  I upgraded to windows 10 several months ago and just last week my Dell 8500 has slowed down a great deal and I have had difficulty logging into my computer.  In addition to helping me perform the legacy change in the boot can you please give my you read on why my compute had become so slow?  I checked for viruses and performed file cleanups. 

Respectfully,

rmcnamar

No Events found!