Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2012 13:00

No light on start up button on Optiplex GX620 yellow light inside pc.

My PC stopped working a few months ago. I finally had some time to look at it. I replaced the power supply unit on it ( in hopes of an easy fix.) that didn't help.

There is no life in the pc  except for a yellow light inside the PC. What can I do next?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 10:00

Hi ohms32,

Please unplug the power cable from the tower and then unplug all the peripherals such as keyboard, mouse, (any external device, flash drive, printer, scanner, fax machine if they are connected). After unplugging all the external peripherals, press and hold the power button in the front of the chassis for 20 sec.

Next connect the power supply, mouse and keyboard and turn on the system. Check the status and reply for further assistance.

Let me also know the LED status on the monitor.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 13:00

ohms32

The Optiplex GX 620 has four versions, Mini Tower, Desktop, Small Form Factor and the Ultra Small Form Factor, which is your version?

Check the power switch LED, what colour is it, is it blinking, solid, or off?

Check the sequence of four Diagnosic lights, located on either the front, or back panel.

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Bev.

38 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 14:00

i would check all motherboard capacitors are flat top, remove RAM and/or re-seat (not likely going to fix anything) CPU, if no beeps and/or power LED button amber light, most likely a motherboard issue

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 16:00

The Dell I have is a mini tower computer, The power button has no light green or amber. there is  no beeping sound from it.and no diagnostic lights. the only light I have is inside the computer the auxilliary power light

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 20:00

The Dell I have is a mini tower computer, The power button has no light green or amber. there is  no beeping sound from it.and no diagnostic lights. the only light I have is inside the computer the auxilliary power light

ohms32

First check that all the power and data cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

No difference and if you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU maybe be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor. 

Bev.

Note :- Before working inside the case, always power the PC off, remove the power cord and hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

No Events found!