Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2010 04:00

No multimedia audio controller driver

Hey i recently upgraded my dimension 9150 from windows XP to Vista Business and i can't get any sound. I've looked in device manager and seen that there is no driver for the multimedia audio controller, i've been to the drivers and downloads page but there's no drivers for vista, i couldn't find the driver for xp either, i tried entering the service tag from the machine and it doesn't even recognise it on the site. Anybody know where i can get the driver for it?

Cheers

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 06:00

There are Vista 32 bit drivers on the Dell downloads  HERE for the 9150.     There are no Vista 64 bit drivers and that could be a major problem.   You need Vista drivers as the XP drivers are not compatible due to Vista (and Windows 7) handling audio functions differently.

The multimedia audio controller is part of the sound drivers.

In addition the Intel chipset drivers (for the motherboard) need to be installed BEFORE installing many device drivers including the Sound.   On a new install the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install device drivers including the Dell sound drivers, video, ethernet, etc.

If the chipset drivers were skipped usually they can be installed and then the sound drivers without problems.  In a few isolated cases it will take a new, correct install sequence, to fix it.

No Events found!