Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TF

February 15th, 2006 22:00

No parallel printer port on new XPS Gen 5

What are our options here?  The printer I have must connect to a parallel port on the PC.  I didn't realize the PC lacked this.  You would think Dell would at least note this somewhere while configuring the system (if they did, I missed it).  Can a PCI parallel port card be bought from Dell or somewhere else that is compatible with the XPS Gen-6 600?

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

February 23rd, 2006 19:00

If that's the case, it's time to buy a new printer.

2.1K Posts

February 23rd, 2006 19:00

FWIW..I bought a Canon IP 5200R photo (and text) color ink jet printer in December from Newegg for $204. Really satisfied with it. Has (5) separate ink cartridges and two cassette media feeders/trays, either of which can use 4x6 photo paper up to letter size paper. Point being you can keep photo paper in one tray and standard letter paper in the other and then select which one you want when you print. (And as a disclaimer....NO, I don't own Canon stock, nor am I affiliated in any manner with Canon or Newegg).

Message Edited by VCraig on 02-23-2006 04:59 PM

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

February 23rd, 2006 20:00

VCannon VCraig,c

I am looking at a low end printer. I don't need one that will do photos as I really don't do that. I just need a good ink jet color printer. I am looking around the valley here and find that in the $60 price range, I should be able to get one that meets my needs now.. I can always buy a better one if need be.

On the freezing issue, it seems, knock on wood, that one of the recently installed software programs was causing this havoc. I have deleted several earlier today and and have had no problems since.

On the heating issue of my hd which is running at 70C and I don't do squat to cause that heat.....XPS did a follow up call to me yesterday on a call I made about the heat the day before. I just told them nicely, that I know I have a warranty up the ying yang, but I don't want to have to replace a drive if I can help it, free or not. It's still a PIA.

So they referred it to a Level 3 tech for his feedback and I should get a call back tomorrow or the next day.
My Maxtor drive, same size, same speed, in my 8400 ran at about 52C and my WD in my 8400 ran 10 degrees or so cooler.
So I haven't a clue what is causing this heat and I can't accept the fact that it is safe for the drive. It is above WD operating specs. You just have to be persistent with the tech's and like you or someone else said, if they know you know what your talking about they do listen and take action

Steve

2.1K Posts

February 24th, 2006 04:00

I'm not into the photo thing either...just wanted another Canon printer to replace the Canon S-750 model I had .... that my wife "appropriated" for her QVC online browsing vs the old HP 4L laser printer she was using. Wanted to print out everything in color....

I can imagine you're relieved you found (so far anyway..) the source of the system hang problem. Equally strange is the HD heat issue. What drew your attention to it in the first place? Short of the paint peeling off the side of my XPS case I would never even think to check how hot my HD runs.. 

4 Posts

February 24th, 2006 11:00

Old Irish, Thanks for the tip. I found a USB to 25 pin parrallel cable at usbgear.com. Works like a charm with my old HP PSC 500 printer.

Thanks again!

3 Posts

March 17th, 2006 03:00

is there a pert number that you can give me on that?  have an xps 400 I'm trying to hook an hp psc 500 to...

4 Posts

March 17th, 2006 09:00

Yeah, very well could be. To be honest, I didn't even notice that the cable was 1.1 compliant. I was so happy to find a USB to 25 pin cable, I jumped at it.

4 Posts

I have bad news. I bought part USBG-LPT25, USB to 25 pin adapter. After connecting, and installing the software, windows recognized it. I was able to print a small document from notepad (as a test). Everything I printed after that just stuck in the print queue. If I rebooted, the print queue cleared and I could print another notepad doc (never could print from Word, etc.), but then any print job after would hang up in the print queue. Still have not figured it out. But haven't had much time to devote to it lately. If you try this and get it to work, great. But since the cable costs $40 and a new HP 1510 costs $80, I'd go with the new printer. That's most likely what I'm going to do.

Good luck!

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

I'm wondering if the fact it's not USB 2 compliant is the problem [the cable]?

3 Posts

March 17th, 2006 14:00

So is their a solution OTHER than buying a new printer? Cables do not work (or is their one out there that does) and adding a Parallel PCI card does not work (or has someone found one that does?).  joerauh

34 Posts

March 17th, 2006 18:00

The following link is to the cable I purchased from Best Buy for my XPS to an HP 4000.  It works brilliantly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7131123&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat33400050027&id=1110263551619

The printer I have cost me over $1200 when I bought it new in '98.  I wasn't in the mood to buy a new one just because of a connection cable.

I am not sure if the 1.1 USB cable would be causing the problem, but that is what I would be leaning to as the source of the difficulty.

I hope this helps.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2006 22:00

Well, I bit the bullit... called support today... I ask "does dell offer a parallel pci card that will work?, or another solution?  The tech I talked to admitted that the PCI card Dell sells is not theirs, just another aftermarket OEM. I asked about the cable, and he suspected it would not work.
I've spent about 25 years in the computer software industry and 15 of those were the early computer graphics. (from sc4020's and punch cards up).  I say all this balony, just to give some credance to my observations.  it looks like the handshaking is not working on the buffering between the printer and computer.  I have just purchase another new cable (adapter) and another PCI card just to make sure I didn't get a lemon.  Both claim to have bi-directional communications (something I probably lack) Once they come in, I'll report my findings.  If all else fails, I just may have to use an older computer as simple a server to this fax/scanner.

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

March 17th, 2006 23:00

I went thru the same problem with my XPS 600 recently and a Lexmark printer.

I bought the cable, and it was recognized by Windows but wouldn't communicate.

I emailed Lexmark not Dell and was told that the cable would not work with that printer.
So this is not Dell's fault in this case.

So I went down to Frye's and got a Cannon at a very nice price which fits my needs fine.
No Events found!