Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 21st, 2008 11:00

Noisy/Loud XPS 420

My new XPS 420 is generally a loud machine and makes a high pitched noise when I browse certain web pages or do graphic intensive activities.  It is generally loud in that I can always hear a fan type buzzing sound or some sort of electronic buzzing sound.  I have read several reviews of the XPS 420 and people describe the computer as being "whisper quiet".  My XPS 420 sounds like a small refrigerator.  I contacted Dell Support about the noise level and the gentleman I spoke with had me run some fan diagnostic tests which my computer passed and the tests showed that the fans were working at the proper RPM for the low fan speed.  The Dell Tech told me that the XPS 420 was a powerful machine and that I should expect it to be loud.  However, it is the loudest computer I have ever owned and I think something must be wrong.  I believe the high pitched noise must be related to my graphics card.  The Dell Support Tech was very nice and professional, but I just feel like I need more resolution.  Has anyone had a similar experience or can you please offer any suggestions?  Thanks so much!

XPS 420
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4GHz and 8MB cache
3GB DDR2 SDRAM @667MHz
500GB SATA HD(7200RPM)
Integrated Audio
Dell 2208WFP Monitor
128MB Radeon ATI HD 2400 Pro

Vista

Message Edited by jallie on 02-21-2008 07:18 AM

60 Posts

My XPS 420 is the quietest computer I have ever had and I have the 8800GT which I would expect to be louder then your video card.

There are not many fans in a 420, should be easy to locate.

You should not have to put up with it.

705 Posts

I have the low hum, but even with that -- this is the quitest machine I have ever owned since you can barely hear the fans.

You need resolution if it is too loud for you...

16 Posts

February 21st, 2008 12:00

What you have to remember here is that every person has their own definition of "quiet" depending on where their actual 420 is placed (near the working area, on the floor or as a HTPC) and the actual room that it is placed in.

My 420 isnt exactly silent you can hear a feint hum - i'd say the hard drives accessing data make more noise, but then again thats my opinion.

If it really is getting to you ring/email dell back and ask for a replacement but just remember for what you may think be loud to others it maybe silent.  Am not meaning to argue here but just stating a point. :)

933 Posts

February 21st, 2008 15:00

Message Edited by Robert Moyer on 02-21-2008 02:10 PM

206 Posts

February 21st, 2008 16:00

As I put in another topic on here:

Is it a high pitch "cicada" noise? If so put your ear to the back of your comp and check its not coming from the PSU.

My HD in my XPS720 makes a low dull thudding/rattling sound (says healthy on startup though) but the PSU whines with a high pitched buzzing noise, like that ya get from a TV producing static, whenever extra power is drawn such as writing data, or scrolling and so on.

It might just be something else, but its worth checking as the noisy PSU is a known, longterm and widespread problem with these computers. Theres even a sticky topic on it for the 420's lol.

26 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 04:00

jallie,

Not to disagree with a previous poster but, yeah, the 420 is with out question the most quiet machine I have ever owned, by far.  FWIW, DL rivatune, and just check to see what speed your video card is running at.  Not sure what the default fan speed of your card is, I am sure you can google and check to see quickly.

I know when I turn up the fan on my GT8800 it becomes one loud son o gun quick.  If fan is set to default 29%, I honestly have to check to make sure my machine is on when I enter my room.  Maybe another piece of equipment, but start with your video card.

Best Regards,

XPS 420

E6850

GT 8800

3 GIG 667 Ram

Vista (why bother to go back to XP)

blah blah blah

henryc folding@home (still cant figure the banner page) Go Team!

Message Edited by hccsf on 02-22-2008 12:15 AM

1 Message

January 18th, 2009 22:00

REALLY LOUD

just bought a brand new computer and this thing is so noisy it keeps me up at night...

the fans are really loud...it sounds like a plane is going to take off ( winding up)

and the 60 cucle hum is over the top...I think I am going to return it...

I can have this loud noise in a recording studio...YIKE...

other people hear it as well so it is not just me...

CAREFUL PEOPLE ... PLUG IT IN AND HEAR IT RUN AT THE STORE FIRST...( OF COURSE I GOT MINE AT BEST BUY AND IT IS LOUD IN THE STORE)

Dell - XPS Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300

Model: X430-121B

• Product Depth
    17.7"
  • Processor Brand
    Intel®
  • Processor
    Intel® Core™2 Quad
  • Processor Speed
    2.5GHz
  • System Bus
    1333MHz
  • Cache Memory
    4MB on die Level 2
  • System Memory (RAM)
    6GB
  • System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
    8GB
  • Type of Memory (RAM)
    PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM
  • Hard Drive Type
    Serial ATA (7200 rpm)
  • Hard Drive Size
    750GB
  • Graphics
    ATI RADEON HD 3650
  • Video Memory
    256MB (dedicated)
  • Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
    No
  • TV Tuner
    Yes
  • MPEG
    Yes
  • Audio
    High-definition audio (7.1-channel support)
  • Speakers
    Dell AX210 Rolling Stone external desktop speakers
  • Built-in Webcam
    No
  • Modem
    56 Kbps*
    *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
  • Network Card
    Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
  • Wireless Networking
    None
  • Recordable DVD Drive
    Yes, DVD±RW/CD-RW
  • Recordable DVD Drive Speeds
    16x8x16 DVD+RW; 16x6x16 DVD-RW; 48x4x48 CD-RW
  • Direct-Disc Labeling
    No
  • Digital Media Reader or Slots
    Yes, digital media card reader
  • Total Expansion Slots
    2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x8, 2 PCI-E x16
  • USB 2.0 Ports
    12 (2 front, 5 rear, 5 internal)
  • IEEE 1394 Ports
    None
  • S-Video Outputs
    None
  • Additional Audio/Video Connectors
    DVI, RCA and digital audio out
  • Serial Ports
    None
  • Parallel Ports
    None
  • Game Ports
    None
  • Keyboard Description
    USB multimedia
  • Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.)
    Optical USB mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1
  • Software Included
    Microsoft Works 9; Adobe Reader 9; Roxio Creator 10 Dell edition; Trend Micro AntiVirus (15 months)
  • ENERGY STAR Qualified
    No

258 Posts

January 19th, 2009 18:00

I'll join the quiet crowd by saying that my XPS 420 is, without doubt, the quietest PC I've ever owned.  Quieter than my Dimension 8300, my Dimension 8100 and even quieter than my original PC - a Packard Bell with a Pentium 1 processor.

Jim

7 Posts

March 14th, 2009 17:00

I too had a noisy fan, and it turned out it was the ATI 3650 HD graphics card.  After 4 months of very quiet operation, one day the video card fan started spinning at max speed and from then on it would always spin at max speed.  Dell replaced the card under warranty, and it's back to whisper quiet again.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2009 22:00

For me the fans are not the problem....it is the geiger counter insanely loud processing noise!!! I have searched this site and the web and have seen a few others post this problem(if it is one) with no response. Is this just normal for this machine? Any help is appreciated.

If it matters, I have the Core 2 Quad CPU - Q6600 @ 2.4GHz.

THANKS!!!

No Events found!