Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2017 17:00

Not Sure if My Dell is Dying or Which Part of it is Dying - Please Help!

I'm trying to work out if my Dell desktop computer (a strong XPS 8700) is dying or not, or if it is just one component that needs replacement (my preference).  The computer is high-performance but 3 1/2 years old.  It has not always been turning on the first time when I press the power button and this problem seems to be getting progressively worse.  Today, it would not load some web pages (it loaded some but not others), and one program stalled and would not stop even with End Task.  I already ran the full start-up diagnostics and apparently everything was fine.  I also did a full scan with Kaspersky Total Security (the strongest version) and apparently everything was fine there as well.  Please help!  Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2017 05:00

What do the Dell diagnostics reveal (F12 at powerup)?  In particular, run an extended test on the hard drive(s).

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 14th, 2017 07:00

Set Secure boot OFF and Legacy CSM ON.  Then F12 Boot a Live Linux DVD.  Linux will run live without needing a working hard drive.   It cannot be malwared up because it resides in ramdisk.  When you shut power off its wiped clean.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Unleashed-Content-Update-Program/dp/0134511182

You can also setup a windows 2 go Drive but that's harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZJpzPvqtk

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 14th, 2017 11:00

The performance issues can easily be from a shortage of hard drive space.  The failure to power up without repeatedly pressing the power button is not -- that is more likely a power supply going bad.

I did do an extended test on start-up and all came back ok.  I also used a stress-testing software called Burnin Test which identified lack of hard-drive space (I knew that already - but can the problems be from that?) and one or two other minor issues but the rest of the computer was fine according to that test.

Thanks.  How do I know which part of the power supply is going bad so I can replace it?  Are some of the power supply issues difficult to fix?

No Events found!