Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2017 16:00

Numeric Keypas doesn't Work - Solutions Don't Work

Today the numeric keypad stopped working.  The num lock is on.  Only the direction keys (home, pgup, etc.) work.  I switched keyboards but the same problem.  I tried the solutions offered (the mouse keys are off), but nothing seems to fix it.

I'm a CPA and tax returns are coming due.  Any suggestions?

121 Posts

October 5th, 2017 17:00

Have you tried a different port. Or try a Bluetooth board

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 5th, 2017 18:00

Always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

4 Posts

October 6th, 2017 10:00

Tried your idea but ng

I'm thinking it has to do with software, but how to determine which program?

4 Posts

October 6th, 2017 11:00

You are right

Mine is Windows 10 & a Dell XPS 8300  ACPI x64 based PC

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

October 6th, 2017 12:00

Just to rule out anything odd, have you tried booting to a command prompt outside of Windows to see if the numpad will work there? And on the keyboard, did you try it in a different port? 

Best regards,

Brad

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 6th, 2017 12:00

Keep in mind that Dell doesn't support Win 10 on the XPS 8300...

Is this a problem with only a specific app or with any/all apps? Have you installed any new software recently? Scanned for malware lately?

Is this the wireless Logitech keyboard supplied by Dell or do you have a different one?  You can try reinstalling the driver.  Manually set a System Restore point first, to be safe. Then open Device Manager and find the keyboard entry. Right-click it and select Uninstall, and reboot.

If that doesn't help, you could try installing the driver that Dell offers for the Logitech wireless keyboard, the page but doesn't say it works with Win 10.

www.dell.com/.../driversdetails

And if that doesn't help, the next update for Win 10 will be released in the next month or so, and since it's essentially a reinstall, it could fix the problem.

4 Posts

October 6th, 2017 16:00

I never had a problem with the keypad until yesterday.

The problem is with all apps.

No new software.

It is a hard wired Dell keyboard.  I also tried a different Dell keyboard.

I did reinstall the driver.

I am a CPA and spend all day on the keypad.

At this point I suspect it is a software problem that is all of a sudden interfering with the keypad.  But how do you identify which app?

Thanks for your ideas.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 6th, 2017 16:00

Reboot and *immediately* press F12. Look for the option to run the hardware diagnostics and run keyboard and extended hard drive tests. Make note of error messages and/or failures, if any.

Boot in Safe Mode and see if keypad works. That will tell you if something loading at startup is causing the problem.

Look for the last System Restore point before this problem started and run the restore. It won't affect your personal files but any software updates which may have been installed in the background (eg, Windows updates) will have to be reinstalled.  It's always a good idea to back up personal files on external media before running a System Restore, to be safe. :emotion-5:

No Events found!