Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2010 13:00

Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB (G92) Artifacts

Hello,

After playing GTA 4 for 1 hour (max temperature was 83 degrees), I was on the internet for a couple of minutes, and suddenly my whole screen freezed and there were artifacts (pink) on the whole screen.

My nvidia 8800 gt max temperature I ever seen during a game was 86 degrees. On idle it is 68-71 degrees.

The card works fine now (I didnt play any game right now because Im scared it will fail completely and I have exams next week coming up).

I have 1,5 year dell next bussiness day (extended) warranty left.Thank god I extended my warranty last year *phew*.

Edit: I forgot to say that I have bumped of the fan speed with riva tuner (now running @ 50%).

Should I call dell and tell them the problem?
Do I then have to send my whole computer or only the videocard? Or will a technician sets a new videocard for me in my home?

Thanks in advance.

18 Posts

March 26th, 2010 14:00

Your temps are way out of line.  It appears that you do not have adequate cooling in your system.

If you allowed your card to operate at elevated temps for long periods of time, then chances are it is damaged.

If you are getting those temps with your fan set at 50%, you should set the fan to 90%. 

Your idle temps are way too high!!!

Bobby

13 Posts

March 26th, 2010 14:00

My idle temps are on fan speed 30% - 68-71.

On 50% they are 63 degrees. I know, still high.

BUT! The weird thing is that I really mailed dell 1 year ago about this, and they told me that it could handle temperatures over 100 degrees. -_-

ARGH!!!! I just hope that my videocard will live for like 1 week now.

Luckily i still have warranty. But I dont really understand the ''next businnes day'' support. Will they fix it by coming to my home, or do I have to send up my system? O_O

Thanks!

1.7K Posts

March 27th, 2010 22:00

They will come to your home to fix it.  You would not have to send your entire desktop computer in for any repairs especially for just a video card.  The older 8800 GT is a hot running card.  Temperatures in the 80s is common for this video card while gaming.   I don't know how much you spent to have your warranty extended, but a new card today that would be equal to the 8800 GT such as the 9800 GT would only cost $80 - $100.  However, I'm not sure if they would replace the card unless it completely fails or you have ongoing problems related to the video card.   Newer cards at this level depending on the brand have better cooling.  I don't know what Dell model you have, but most likely it does not have very good case cooling so a card with better cooling is all the more important.     

13 Posts

March 28th, 2010 13:00

Hey,

OK thanks mate. No no, I extended the warranty about a small year ago, so I have 1,5 years warranty left.

Anyways, the card is working fine now, without any problems. Although I didnt play any game.. But I will try to play some next week and see if the error returns.

if it isnt returning, shall I still call dell? Or could it be a ''1 time failure that could happen''?

Thanks.

No Events found!