Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2009 07:00

Nvidia System Tools and GFX card fan XPS 730 with H2C

I am hoping that someone with a similar setup could confirm they have similar issues to me or if I have missed some thing.

Running QX9650 Overclocked to 3.6 with GTX 280 and the H2C unit in an XPS 730.

I have been using the Dell thermal monitoring app for fans and alien ware app for LED's since I received the system. But as the days are warming I was unhappy that the CPU pump and fan would not increase as loads and temps did across the CPU.

Currently my individual cores go up to around 75-80 degree C under a prime95 stress test. With the CPU temp being at maybe 60 degree C tops. Dell confirmed this as normal via e-mail however it seems a little high to me. my last air-cooled q6600 xps 720 was much cooler without a H2C unit?

I installed the Nvidia system tools ESA programme as I found that profile could be set on temps graph to raise the pump and fan... perfect, I thought.

I got Nvidia system tools setup for my liking and all worked as I wanted. However on my last stress test involving prime95 and furmark I noticed that although all my fans and pump would increase with the temps. the GPU fan was now stuck on 40% as per Nvidia control panel and there is no setting for "Auto fan" control. This in turn allowed the GPU to heat up to 90 degree C before I stopped everything.

I tried various 3rd party apps to override Nvidia system tool for the GPU fan but it always reverted to 40% fixed on boot up. Uninstalling Nvidia system tool fixes the GPU auto fan problem, but I then have no control over the CPU pump and fan.

Ideally I would like to control the Cpu pump and fan by the profiles in Nvidia system tools and leave the Gpu to auto fan

So I guess to summarize, my questions are.

Are my cpu temps ok going that high,

If not, is it possible to have Nvidia system tools installed and still retain the GPU auto fan setting?

Many thanks for any help and responses.

650 Posts

April 10th, 2009 10:00

Currently my individual cores go up to around 75-80 degree C under a prime95 stress test. With the CPU temp being at maybe 60 degree C tops. Dell confirmed this as normal via e-mail however it seems a little high to me.

Whomever said your temps are normal for your cpu is INSANE!!!! That is VERY HOT, especially considering it's LIQUID COOLED!!! A liquid cooled CPU should NEVER get above 50c under load and should stay around 20-30c idle. I ran the Intel Burn Test v1.9, which stresses the multi-core cpu better than Prime95, and MY temps were as high as 82c with my case being AIR cooled and my front cpu fan at 20%. Your temps are way too high for your cpu to be equipped with liquid cooling.

Download and install the NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support 6.03

After installing, do the following:

Start > All Programs > NVIDIA Corporation > NVIDIA Control Panel > Control Panel

Up at the top, you will see where it says File Edit View 3D Settings Help

Click View > Define Custom View

You will see something that says User Acceptance Policy. Click that and accept the agreement.

Now, click View > Define Custom View and select what you see I have selected in the box below and click OK.

Now, click Device Settings in the left pane of the control panel.

You will see your gpu fan settings and a chassis icon as well.

Adjust the fans to your liking and select SAVE.

It will ask you to give the profile a name.Give it whatever name you'd like.

When you click the X in the upper right corner of the window, it will ask you if you want to apply the settings when Windows starts. Click YES.

Now, each time you start Windows, the new settings will take effect.

63 Posts

April 10th, 2009 10:00

I appreciate your responce, email support have been most unhelpful regarding the obviously temps. As of now it sits as follows. This is just browsing with music. So nearly idle I would say.

This is without the nvidia system tools. as you may notice you also have no "Auto" fan option in the gpu tab... I also notice your last picture of saving for windows start up. My box is always blank, with a yes or no answer. I can not see the text and so far had to guess that it asked for start up confirmation. Could this all be part of a bigger issue?

I appreciate your detailed answer, however I had already got that far as it were.

This is my main issue. temps came down with the fan profiles set in the control panel but it means the gpu fan has to be on a fixed value.

I tried multiple profiles for games but I would much prefer the auto adjust option as it is without the system tools installed.

Riva tuner etc are of no use either as the control panel seems to set it back to a fixed value on reboot over riding those apps.

If you run furmark from your desktop in a window, does your fgpu fan automatically speed up with temps?

Many thanks for your response.

650 Posts

April 10th, 2009 11:00

What version of the Nvidia System Tools are you using? Have you downloaded the latest release, 6.03? In case no one else told you, don't use the XPS Thermal Monitor at the same time you're using the Nvidia System Tools. The XPS app will override the Nvidia settings.

I created a profile for Futuremark, COD4, and COD5. When I start any of those applications, the Nvidia System Tools increases my GPU fans to 100%. When I exit the application, it decreases them back to 50%. This has been very effective.

Try uninstalling the Nvidia system tools and reinstalling. DO NOT use the XPS thermal application. It's JUNK. It looks cool, but it can't do even 1/4 of what the Nvidia tools can. I, also, have an XPS 730 so I know the system tools work just fine. If the control panel isn't detecting BOTH of your video cards, make sure they are seated good in the PCIE-x16 lanes, check the power connectors, and change the position of your SLI bridge. If the control panel STILL isn't detecting both cards, remove them both, connect one and make sure you get a picture. Remove it and install the other card. If you get a picture with the 2nd card, install the other one and affix the SLI bridge. If after doing all of this, your control panel still doesn't show BOTH cards, make sure you have your SLI & PhysX properties set with SLI enabled in the control panel. If that doesn't fix your problem, you have a bad SLI bridge.

Judging from the temperature of GPU1 and GPU2, I'm confident that you don't have SLI enabled in the Nvidia control panel. I know this because my 285's idle around 40-45c. Under load, they get no higher than 60c.  If I disable SLI, my primary card will run twice as hot as my secondary. When I enable SLI, they both stay the same temp because the load is divided among (2) gpu's instead of just 1 doing all of the PhysX processing and rendering.

63 Posts

April 10th, 2009 13:00

Ok thanks for all your help..

I have been using the latest version and even tried older ones in vain.... all without dell thermal app.

It seem like the auto gpu fan control just isn't there and we have to rely on profiles when the system tools is installed.

Again I appreciate all your input. Looks like I'll have to set up a dozen profiles or so to raise the gpu fan when needed.

I'm still confused to why I can't see the text on the confirmation to load a profile on start up.... I have tried reinstalling many times....

=/

650 Posts

April 10th, 2009 14:00

My mistake... probably should of put rules not profiles.

Do you find your rules get deleted/ just dissapear. as some times I find rules I set up are gone.

I don't create rules. I created a single profile for everything I need.

Click HERE to see the FULL SIZE IMAGE

482 Posts

Good Afternoon Nudimensionz,

Interjecting into the thread, even though I think that PH3NOM is doing a good job, I too have the XPS 730 H2C with the QX9650 @ 3.67, running dual GTX 260's OC in SLI with an Aegia PhysX.  I downloaded Dell Thermal and deleted it, downloaded AlienWare Light FX and deleted it as well, much ado about nothing as they say.  Am now back to using nVidia ESA 6.03 and nVidia Control Panel.

I use three basic profiles for which I have preset rules according to the ESA Control panel, but I use RivaTuner to control my GPUS and it loads and confirms each time I open the 730.  I have both of my GPU fans set at 70% and they run around 36C idle and 48-55C full tilt gaming, 3DMarkVantage and Prime.  GPU's have a lifetime warranty, run the fans wide open and keep the cards cool, if the fan stops the RMA.

I use RivaTuner to control my GPU and I just ignor the nVidia settings.  I ignor the nVidia Monitor as worthless. Use PCWizard2008 which gives me a current active desktop score of CPU temps, CPU voltage, RAM activity, and GPU temps.  Works on Vista 64.

I would disagree with PH3NOM and tell you to establish a couple to four profiles, but manage your GPU with Riva.

Best,

Darrell WV

650 Posts

Looks like I'll have to set up a dozen profiles or so to raise the gpu fan when needed.

Why would you need to do that? Just create a single profile and set it so when you start certain programs, it will increase the fans, and when you exit the program, it will turn everything back to normal.

63 Posts

My mistake... probably should of put rules not profiles.

Do you find your rules get deleted/ just dissapear. as some times I find rules I set up are gone.

650 Posts

April 10th, 2009 15:00

Some use RivaTuner, I use the eVGA Precision Advanced Graphics Tuning tool for monitoring gpu temps. I use CoreTemp to monitor my cpu temps.

63 Posts

April 10th, 2009 15:00

Many thanks for your input Darrell. I indeed tried riva tuner but found that nvidia system tools would override it on a profile change and keep the fan speed fixed at what ever is designated in the control panel.

I am going to continue to play with profiles and rules and see what I can settle on. I just hoped for automatic gpu fan control without a 3rd party app.

edit........................

Well I re downloaded riva tuner to play and managed to work out how to get it to load profiles at startup, (and other event) This means I now have ESA set up as I wished with graphs for the cpu pump and riva tuner profiles kick in at certain temps on an auto profile.

So I finally have the cooling as I wish and the pump speeds up with cpu temps.

As of now my CPU idle temp is 24 Gpu is 57.

With the cpu pump speeding up my cores never went over 56 on a quick prime 95 test + everest cpu stress test

So all seems well

Thanks for the help guys.

17 Posts

May 13th, 2009 17:00

I also have a xps 730 h2c with the qx9650 running at 3.67ghz. I am using 32bit XP and with speed fan to monitor my teps they are as followed:

cpu 30c

core 0 - 50c

core 1 - 42c

core 2 - 44c

core 3 - 50c

That is with the system fans apparently at 2220 rpm after about 8 hours normal use. I use Nvidia control panel and have profiles, is this the best method of cooling? 

17 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 14:00

Well i cleaned alot of dust that was covering my h2c radiator that i had not seen before as the radiator is hidden well. Now my temps are much better.

cpu 23c

core 0 - 45c

core 1 - 30c

core 2 - 34c

core 3 - 45c

System temps - 15c

This is with the system fans at 1623 -1688 rpm after about 8 hours normal use. I don't no if this speed rating of the system fan is just the front fan or the speed of the fan cooling the radiator for the h2c unit. But the system is very very quiet and nice and cool even at 3.67Ghz, i had it at 4.33Ghz before i cleaned the dust and it was still cool just a bit loud, i might try that again now. :emotion-2:

313 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 15:00

Was just wandering how did you clean the H2C unit? and is there a 120mm fan behind the casing, if possible can you upload some pictures!! Thanks

17 Posts

June 6th, 2009 14:00

17 Posts

June 6th, 2009 14:00

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I just used a few straws and put a soft cloth on the end, then used that to brush all the layers of dust to the corner closest to the open side and hovered out that dust. As for the 120mm fan, there is one above the radiator but it has a cover on it, it is the unit above the big h2c unit. I just took that off with a srew driver and cleaned that 120mm fan. That was the only fan other than the gpu and the small chipset fan i could see, i didn't see one behind the radiator. 

No Events found!