Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 10th, 2000 09:00

OK-So I'm behind times--

I am still using IE 4.0 and am considering upgrading to IE 5.01. I had read all about the problems with IE5.0, so had not upgraded. What potential problems should I be aware of and try to avoid? Any downloading quirks to work around? Should I use custom installation?
Thanks in advance any info that can be offered!

John Bryson
Soli Deo Gloria

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

June 10th, 2000 14:00

John,

IE 5.01 is quicker than 4.0, more stable, and offers the capability of repairing itself should it be damaged. The only caveat for downloading (other than the amount of time it will take) is to disable your virus scanner and firewall, set your screensaver to "none," and set power management to "Never" turn off monitor and hard disk.

I'd recommend the full installation rather than custom. Also, when the download starts you will receive a file called Ie5setup.exe. Save it somewhere permanent. In the event IE 5.01 is badly damaged, it will ask you to run Setup again so you'll want to have it available.

Want to make a hyperlink in your post, want to add a graphic or sound file, need to troubleshoot a non-working Java applet, want to build an attractive signature? These capabilities can be yours if you visit Denny's DellT@lk Tutorials.
For help in deciding what can be eliminated from your Startup list, take a look here.
Want to get rid of Network Neighborhood, change your Registered Owner name? Check out the little utilities at Delltalk Tweekz.

13 Posts

June 12th, 2000 10:00

Denny,

Thanks for taking time to reply. Did I read correctly in another post that the download for IE 5.01 is 77 Mb? Is the CD available from Microsoft? It would take my system 24 hrs. to download. I live in the country and the phone lines are slooow.

John Bryson
Soli Deo Gloria

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

June 12th, 2000 16:00

brickmaker,

Absolutely. You can find ordering instructions here

Want to make a hyperlink in your post, want to add a graphic or sound file, need to troubleshoot a non-working Java applet, want to build an attractive signature? These capabilities can be yours if you visit Denny's DellT@lk Tutorials.
For help in deciding what can be eliminated from your Startup list, take a look here.
Want to get rid of Network Neighborhood, change your Registered Owner name? Check out the little utilities at Delltalk Tweekz.
No Events found!